• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Marital arts problem(help)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Menjo,

It sounds like you're in the process of some soul searching. I personally think that this is good. But I'd suggest you take a little time and not be so hard on yourself. First off how long have you been studying GoJu? If it is for less that 5 years, I'd suggest you realize that you're just a beginner and that it will take time to master techniques. If it's longer, realize that you're probably at a stage where you're perfecting your art. This can be long and hard, and it's why so many folks quit. So if you're in this group feel good about yourself, and know that you're one of the rare few. Try to use this to get yourself motivated.

I don't know about your Sensei, but mine is someone who I can talk to at any time about anything. If you have a good relationship, I'd strongly suggest that you talk about how your feeling. I'm willing to bet that he has been there and that knows about this sort of thing. Also remember your commitment to your art is a relationship between you and yourself. In the end, if you feel it's time to leave then it's your decision and you don't owe anyone anything. Now with this said, you SHOULD talk to your Sensei and those that you're close to in the dojo before you make a decision. In other words don't make rash decisions. (BTW, I don't get the impression that this is really an issue, but thought I'd mention it just incase you are seriously thinking of leaving)

As far as other arts and learning techniques outside of your style. Again talk to your Sensei. You might find that he will encourage you to learn other things if he feels that you can handle it. If he says no. RESPECTFULLY ask him why. Then work with him to understand his logic.

Very interesting as to your motives for posting that, thank you for your concern but i asure you iam not in a soul search, if iam its sub-conciously.

I have no clue as to why you said what you said. Also i take shotokan, so on that note i am really not looking for any advice on that kind of situation but thanks anyway.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

There is not such thing as "the best style". There are only great martial artists. What they all have in common is passion for what they do, no matter what the style. I would stick to one style, make it your passion and master it. Dedication and passion in one part of your life will flow into other parts. Be confident of your abilities but never satisfied with what you have yet accomplished.

Middle Brown Belt

Shoryn Ryu Jujitsu

you just have to have harmonious balance with all the things in your life and you will truly know how dedicated you are to it

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

You sound kinda like i did a couple of months ago. If you want something flowly or elegant you should see some of the masters practice. Its amazing to see them. Everything is so smooth and looks like no effort. BUt just do wha tyou want and dont be held back, but make sur eyou knwo what your doing first too.

Focus

I just read your post not every one elses. So this has probably arleady been said. Who you going to let down. Your sensei, some friends, other people?

The training is for YOU! So do whats best for your self. Your not sure if you can make the moves work then spar with other styles. I am sure you can find friends who have boxed, or wrestled or studying something else before. Maybe make a club and work out with each other see how you guys do with each other and how to deal with each others technique.

As far as learning other stuff after you have a good base in your style. (Usually black belt you should have the basics down and a good base) go check out other avanues for your training.

Good luck in your trianing