• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know..... I know... stretch. I just wanted to get a general feel for how long it took some of you to get your kicks a little higher, or even to start to notice a slight elevation in your kick or split/stretch

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It took me two and a half years to even do a split. But I could kick people my height in the head after 2 years of stretching. When I started MAs, I couldn't even touch my toes. I still have trouble with the side split, because of the way my hips are "built." But I will keep trying.

I think when I first noticed a difference, is about 3 to 5 months into my training. I was able to touch my toes (not easily, but I did).

Laurie F

Yeah, I guess I feel the same way. I know it's going to take time, and patients. How many times a week (not in class) do you spend stretching?

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Flexibility is only half the secret to high kicks. You must also develop the appropriate muscles to be able to through controlled high kicks.

I have my students do slow isometric side kicks and front kicks to help build their strength.

--

Yeah, I guess I feel the same way. I know it's going to take time, and patients. How many times a week (not in class) do you spend stretching?

I don't. I only stretch in class. But I do stretch on my own before class, because I feel the stretching during class is too "hurried." But I got into a habbit of stretching after class also (which I have been slacking on) do to my muscles being warmed up fully (best time to do a really good stretch). That really helped my flexibility improve a lot quicker (I wish I knew about it sooner).

Laurie F

For anyone who is interested...what I have found to be the UTT-Most Authority on Stretching and having high kicks without warming up is:

Tom Kurz - Secrets of Stretching

do a GOOGLE Search for it, and you will find all you need to know about.

It is a 98 minute video...which give you an exact routine to do.

I have used for years in my classes, and I am about to start it back up.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."