Lars

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's different styles of Karate, if you're thinking of taking it up, you have to remember to persevere pas the difficult first steps. A good instructor is important and my instructor made it a breese...

I took several years of Isshinryu in high school, and I loved it. Oh sure, it was hard work, but I'm short, small, and a girl, and having the ability (even if I wouldn't do it anywhere but the dojo) to throw big guys to the ground really puts a swing into your step.

Maybe a different type of karate (or even judo) would be better for my body type, but it's also a great way to work out frustrations (if you have access to a punching bag). I'm thinking of taking it up again, but I'd like to try a different style. Has anyone tried switching styles? Is it terribly difficult?

"Education: The path where one travels from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty." --Mark Twain

I've done Chito-Ryu karate for almost 10 years now, I got my first degree when I was 16 (in our style we're only allowed to get junior-black until we're 16.. at which time we can get our full black). Now I'm polishing up on everything and I'm planning on going for my 2nd degree before I leave for university.

As for changing styles, I've never done it myself, but there are some people in the club who have. It really depends on what style you've done before, and which you want to switch to. Many styles have the same, or share similar stances and movements.. even katas -- try counting how many karate styles have Bassai, there are a TON :smile:

I do Shotokan Karate and i'm a member of the KUGB (Karate Union of Great Britain). I've been doing it for about 6 years and it's the only style I've tried. I know a few people who have changed to Shotokan and they say that most of the katas are the same. I'm going for my 2nd Dan next week (10th June) and then i have to wait till i'm 21 to grade for my 3rd Dan.

Wish me luck.

Oss

Chris Pullan :karate:

P.S if you have any questions about the KUGB, please e-mail me and i'll do what i can to help :smile:

"In combat know the enemys rhythm, use a rhythm he cannot anticipate, upset his rhythm, and win." Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)

Oss!

Chris Pullan.

1st Dan Shotokan Karate. (KUGB)

hello cris of kugb; good luck on your testing for your new blackbelt. remember that blackbelt status is the begining of true learning in the martial arts.

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson