• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Choosing a Gi

Menjo

The only problem I would see is if you get something different than what you order but in the case of Satori before they start making your gi you have to talk to them over the phone and if you give them the right information you should get something close to the perfect gi.

As you can see I am a little happy with satori and I talk on behalf of my wife too. She complains about everything, never happy with anything but when she got her gi after a month she wants to order a second one.

Ed.

6TH. Kiu (Green Belt)

Shotokan SKIF

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
The only problem I would see is if you get something different than what you order but in the case of Satori before they start making your gi you have to talk to them over the phone and if you give them the right information you should get something close to the perfect gi.

As you can see I am a little happy with satori and I talk on behalf of my wife too. She complains about everything, never happy with anything but when she got her gi after a month she wants to order a second one.

i'm happy with my satori gi's too, the owner is one of the instructors at my dojo

Goju Ryu Karate, Jujitsu

I have a heavy weight Judo gi for jujitsu (Proforce). I like it. It's great for grappling and throwing :D It fits well, also.

Proforce has always been my fav. They make gi's for a "funky" shaped female LOL. And they still fit hehehehehe.

Laurie F

Ok i currently have a light gi, and i was wondering what are the benitfits of having a light or heavy gi?

It all depends on your personal preference as well. Me, I was never a big fan of light weight gi's because of quality issues. Always chose the heavy ones. Now a days I have different gi's, heavy and light. Since the quality brands like Tokaido, Shureido and Hirota have their special fabrics it is just a question of tast. For me personally my heavy gi's are in the closet and I only use my Hirota Pinack gi. It's custom made from Japan, took 4 weeks to make and I don't want any thing else anymore. It is so light and a specially for intensive training that does it for me. My 2 cents are that the high quality light weight gi's give you more movement and more flexibility altogether and they stay light if you sweat a lot. Although I will never compete in a light weight gi for Kata events... That's where my heavy ones come in.

Karate no shugyo wa issho de aru - Gichin Funakoshi

• 2 weeks later...

I began my training with a light weight student gi. That lasted for about six weeks. I have a 14oz Juka that I just love. They are kind of expensive (I think they run about 120, I bought it a quite a while ago) but I really think they are worth it. I don't think that I will ever buy anything else. They look really good on and make good pops as you work out. They also keep good and warm as you workout.

• 2 months later...

I heard that the best place to order real Tokaido's (I know there's lots of fakes out there) is at https://www.tokaidojapan.com. But I heard it takes a long time to get the stuff you order with them. I guess these uniforms and belts are all coming from Japan(?) Has anyone here ordered from them? I think Tokaido is still the best for uniforms but I want to make sure I'm getting a good price and they get my order right and don't take 6 months to get it to me. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally replaced my old cheap gi and got a heavier higher quality one.

I found after about 20min I was actually starting to beleive I was going to die of exaustion, however I managed it through. I can really feel the difference in everyway I train, so thanks for the advice everyone.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Well I finally replaced my old cheap gi and got a heavier higher quality one.

I found after about 20min I was actually starting to beleive I was going to die of exaustion, however I managed it through. I can really feel the difference in everyway I train, so thanks for the advice everyone.

And what brand did you get?