• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

OK,commenting on my own thing. If anyone actually read taht, it only works if you're faster than the other person. My instructor wanted to spar me today and kicked my butt. Ouch :kaioken:

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure to set your techniques up. Start with lead leg roundhouse kick for example to the stomach as soon as your opponent blocks follow it up with a backfist to the face and a reverse punch to the body. One of the 3 techniques should score if done properly.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• 7 months later...
just remember your sparring for yours and their benefit guys. Assess the other guy's abilities as best you can. A lot of clubs seem to have problems with higher grades taking them to pieces. No-one wins there. It's a time to practice your techniques so try them all out, see what works best for you

"I didn't lose!!! I just ran out of time to figure out how to beat him."

(Thai-Kick-Jitsu, Blue Belt)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

when you are bowing in stare right through your opponent

and pull a poker face

when you are in the fight, don't ever rush in to attack - this rush says 'please front kick me in the stomach'

I generally do point sparring by moving in, attack 1 - 2 -3 -4 techniques, move out of range - that being said I also mix up my agressive and defensive fighting styles with the attacker I deal with.

In my last tournament the last guy I had to fight was being really overconfident because he'd beaten someone 2 belts above him, he was very agressive. I started off sort neutral - exchanging attacks with him then I went defensive to see his attack style. Then I went defensive again and started to score front kicks on him (picking up on a weakness of his), then instead of relying on front kicks as I would have expected him to adapt I adapted my own fighting to aggressive.

Throwing fakes is alright but be careful not to concentrate on fakes too much - sometimes i find myself when I do fakes concentrating on them - as I don't normally think about my normal techniques but i have to think about fake techniques. All so fight laterally! don't just fight forward and backward, remember when your in a tournament you're in a circle/square not a narrow corridor. Use your space.

Also short low stances work a charm.

Remember also to use momentum - roundkick with a right leg comes perfectly after a reverse punch with a right arm.