• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Earning Respect.

Each age group has their own personality to them but I find that for the high school level and below the best approach is to be their friend first. This isn't saying that you should be really laidback and let anything slide by but you should keep in mind at all times that they already have parents. If you take this position then the 13-16 year olds will smell it a mile away and resist you just for the sake of resisting you even if they love the art/activity/subject/whatever. Don't put on an act for them. The more honest you are and the less you put yourself on a pedastal, the more they'll do it for you. :wink:

As for teaching your elders, it can be extremely uncomfortable since they'll sometime try to poke holes in your authority just to prove that they're still your senior. This isn't true of everyone but when I was a 14 year old lifeguard teaching 14-30somethings aquatics skills it was mostly true for me.

I got around the constant competition of "I know more than you do" by playing dumb. I would go days only asking questions of my students and allowing the hotshots to be hotshots if they wanted, but if the answer was wrong I would ask more questions and lead the responses until they were right. That way they were still learning and noones ego got bruised. This is also a lifesaver if you honestly don't remember the answer yourself. If the class is used to you playing the fool, they'll think it's part of the act and won't doubt that you really know what you're talking about anyway. :brow:

One of the great Greek philosophers (I don't remember if it was Socrates, Plato or Aristotle) said that learning is just remembering what you already know.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really thank you guys for your help. I will put all most of your suggestions into use for my teaching style.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Describe in detail how to earn the respect of an adult student.

The above question has been a question I have been stuggling on. Its hard putting the things I want to into words. Can you help me on this one?

1st Degree Adult Black Belt Recommended

Aam-Ka-Jutsu

Aamerican Colleges of Karate

Keeping my eyes on a goal and never letting my sights off it.

This is also a lifesaver if you honestly don't remember the answer yourself. If the class is used to you playing the fool, they'll think it's part of the act and won't doubt that you really know what you're talking about anyway.

Ha! The oldest trick in the book. I used to play it nearly once a day when I first started helping instruct and I didn't have all the material downpact myself.

If I ever forgot a move, or a step I'd tell the student I was teaching to do it. Then if they forgot too I'd say something like, "What??? You forgot it? You can't be forgetting your moves, try again." Then if they forgot it again and I still couldn't remember it myself I'd call another student over to do it which would firstly help me recall the move. But it would also serve as a teaching tool to show the first student I was teaching what they need to be like in reference to the second.

If by chance the second student ALSO forgot the move, I'd make a show of it as well going on about how they all need to practice. By this point I'd announce to the entire class, that I need to see "Somebody to remind these two how to do this move." And on those rare occasions the entire class somehow forgets (has happened twice in 6 years ;)) I make them all drop and give me pushups while I slink away momentarily to look at my review book or ask another instructor :-D

"Question oneself, before you question others"

IDescribe in detail how to earn the respect of an adult student.

It depends the student. Just like all kids aren't alike, all adults aren't alike. Like I said before, find out what they are training for. Play to those goals. Aside from that, all you can do is remain as knowlegable as possible, and ensure that you are always genuine when you speak. If they feel you are talking down to them that can also work adversely to achieving their respect.

I know that I got my younger brother respect despite his not so large size by speaking highly of him to my adult students when he wasn't around. He still doesn't even know what I've said. But what's good is that I didn't have to stretch the truth or lie about him. He's only like 5' 6'' or 7'', but he floors my adult advanced students who some stand at 6' 1-4''

Never underestimate the power of an angry little guy with MMA gloves on and a good right roundhouse kick :)

Listen well, learn well, teach well and respect will come from anyone regardless of age or gender.

I was being shown some poor karate which the instructor could not show or perform bunkia too. How can you teach a move or a kata if the instructor has no idea of what's going on in the moves. I lost respect for him as an instructor and his teacher for allowing him to teach in that area which he knew litte about.The teacher should know what he's showing you.

ITS THE SAME OLD SAYING EARN YOUR RESPECT.

is your 13 to 16 year olds in the same class as your adults? In many schools they are put together and that is many times not a bad idea.

anyway, here's proven methods of how to gain a teen's respect.

1. Train hard. Show them that you really care about the martial art you are not there just to teach them and make their lifes miserable.

2. Don't treat them the same way as your kids classes. I'm sure many of them will see you teach kids classes. Use a different tone of voice. Talk more like you are on the same level rather than the kids class when you're above them.

3. In a kids class if a kid asks for help you should always give him appropriate attention, especially if a parent is there. In a teen class, if they ask a question, focus on their needs. Show them how you want to share your knowledge with them.

there's a few more but i'm hungry and i gotta have lunch. If you have anymore questions send me a message.

is your 13 to 16 year olds in the same class as your adults? In many schools they are put together and that is many times not a bad idea.

anyway, here's proven methods of how to gain a teen's respect.

1. Train hard. Show them that you really care about the martial art you are not there just to teach them and make their lifes miserable.

2. Don't treat them the same way as your kids classes. I'm sure many of them will see you teach kids classes. Use a different tone of voice. Talk more like you are on the same level rather than the kids class when you're above them.

3. In a kids class if a kid asks for help you should always give him appropriate attention, especially if a parent is there. In a teen class, if they ask a question, focus on their needs. Show them how you want to share your knowledge with them.

there's a few more but i'm hungry and i gotta have lunch. If you have anymore questions send me a message.

Not sure if this was directed at me or Sharkey, but regardless I'll answer :)

Firstly yes my teens are in the adult class. The problem we are now facing is that we have adults (18+) that have stopped comming to class, and I think it may have to do with us having to spend so much time trying to get these kids (teens) motivated and focused.

No matter what I try I just can't seem to bring out that passion in them. I'm compelled to fall back on the cliche'd line "it's not for everyone", and just assume that they just don't have it in them, but I feel like I'm failing myself if I just let them flounder. On the other hand I also don't want to dedicate TOO much time to them, and cause disinterest in my motivated adult students.

Lately I've just told them what I expect from them, and pair them up to work with more focused students that will help them move along, and show them what to aspire to be like....either that or they just get hit alot :)

Anyways, thanks for the advice though. I'll keep that in mind about showing more and more that I still train too.

We have a peewees class, they are 6 - 10. Our Juniors class is 11 - 14 and the adult class is 14+.

We have to move up some of our 12 year olds to the adults because they can tear up the junior class with 1 kick. They are even tearing up the adult class. Surprising enough they are all girls who got moved up.

1st Degree Adult Black Belt Recommended

Aam-Ka-Jutsu

Aamerican Colleges of Karate

Keeping my eyes on a goal and never letting my sights off it.

glad i helped you guys out a little bit. I know it's tuff to teach people who are close to your age. And just let me add, teens can be a big part of your school. Most teens join karate not only for the sport but for something to do. Maybe ask your school owners to really create a teen program where you do special events on the weekends, for example, hand out flyers in the neghborhood and then go back to the school for pizza. Teens want to become involved with the school. You just have to offer it to them first. Maybe even have some of them start to assist the kids classes(if you think they are mature enough). It always helps to have another person on the floor to hold pads.

never down grade, always make each one part of class, your class should like you, not fear the instructor, sometimes you need an adult Black Belt

to talk about respect & how hard you work to get to Black Belt, show the kids cool moves, they love to jump up & down and add a kick or punch.

J.A.B. Karate & Taekwondo Center

https://www.jabkarate.com