• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Earning Respect.

I am a 15 year old 1st Deg. Black Belt.

I train in Washington State at the Aamerican Colleges of Karate.

I intruct in many of our kids classes and I love it. I also intruct in our teenager class and our adult program.

I was wondering how to earn respect from the two different age groups. The teenager class (13 - 18) and our adult population (19+). I have gained much repect from my instructors and the have earned mine. Now im placed into their shoes after all the years(Started at age 5, 7year program for kids). I want to know how to earn these age groups respect. It would help alot on how I may structure my furture classes and how I teach during the class.

Thanks for your help in advance.

T.Sharkey

1st Degree Adult Black Belt Recommended

Aam-Ka-Jutsu

Aamerican Colleges of Karate

Keeping my eyes on a goal and never letting my sights off it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

present yourself as a proud figure dont show any insecurity in the way you teach. Show that you are determined and that you can do what they are doing. don't let them take you as a joke at any time. I guess be a role model of what a martial artist should be and they will give you their respect. that's just what I think

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

I show alot of respect towards the students im teaching. Most of the kids in the class want to go home and play video games. I can relate to that because I was like that while going up through the higher ranks. Now im faced with teaching.

I've been teaching and assisting in classes for 3 years now. Now someone asked me how I gained respect from the students and I said "I really dont know""Maybe because I can relate to the students more".

I just want to know how you teach and instruct the different age groups. How you gain the respect of the students. I could use your information to help my own teaching style.

T.Sharkey

Aam-Ka-Jutsu

I agree with what was said above. Give respect, and remain confident at all times. Make sure when you demonstrate that you are in complete control, but try not to come off as cocky. Speak in strong even tones, and test yourself with other black belts to make sure you have an answer for everything. The last thing you want to do is be caught off guard by a question you don't know the answer to.

Aside from this, you raise a point that perked my interest....

I'm 21, 2nd degree black belt and I teach full time, nearly running my school alongside two other senior instructors. The age group I honestly hate teaching the most is the early teens (13-15). Anything younger is fine, and anything older is fine. But these kids don't seem to have the focus anymore. Once they hit these ages I suppose things in their lives start "changing" and the discipline goes out the window. It's driving me nuts.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get these guys/girls to put the effort back into class, stop worrying about their unsightly blemishes, and just start really training again!?

(No offense Sharkey ;))

"Question oneself, before you question others"

Further thoughts on respect and ages....it's all about Personality

Little guys 3-5: Have fun. End of story. Have them run, jump, play, Kia!, and hit things. Speak in more upbeat tones but take the opportunity to instill discpline by making sure that they can focus (ie: Stand in front position) at the drop of a hat. If not then they "don't get to play and have fun anymore." If you're over 4 feet tall 9/10 times you have their respect instantaneously :-P

Less little guys, 6-8: Keep it fun, but take sterner tones with them. Make yourself into (or at least appear to be ;)) the role model their parents want you to be. Be confident, and appear omnipotent in your mastery of both the Martial arts and the world around you. With such awe and respect towards you, they will not only listen to you, they will then begin to learn to train in your image.

Bigger guys 9-12: Take even sterner tones in class. Drill the class a bit more, and make them want to train to become tough, while still having fun intermitently through class. Train them closer to how you'd train an aspiring adult student. If you talk to your students, take the time to give them advice on things if they need it. (note: Make sure you are capable of giving sound advice before you do :-P)

Teens 13-15: Read above last post........:roll:

Older Teens, 16-19: Beat the life out of them :-D.......ok no you don't have to, but my point still stands. Make sure that they don't doubt your ability. Like I said in the last post, always remain confident, and appear to know everything to every question that may come up. When it comes down to it, in sparring, give them a little bit more of a love tap if you feel they are doubting you or disrespecting you.

College bound and then some, 18-20sumthings: Same as the older teens pretty much I'd suppose.

Adults 30+: Make sure that you know why they are training and what they hope to accomplish. If they want self defense make sure everything you say and teach is along the lines of quick efficient protection of oneself. If it's for exercise make yourself knowledgable about different muscle groups, and overall human health. Many adults may look down at you, but I hate to say it, not alots gonna change that. You were born when they were in high school/college/beyond and sometimes there's no way of changing their image of you, even if they know you can kick their butt.

Hope this helped, good luck :)

Thanks KempoTiger.

I mostly struggle with the 13-16 age group. They have no interest and most of the time its "My parents are making me". It's like trying to teach a sleeping bear, you ask them at the end of class what they learned and it takes them 5 minutes to think of a answer. Sometimes that answer was not taught in the class.

Aam-Ka-Jutsu

Further thoughts on respect and ages....it's all about Personality

Little guys 3-5: Have fun. End of story. Have them run, jump, play, Kia!, and hit things. Speak in more upbeat tones but take the opportunity to instill discpline by making sure that they can focus (ie: Stand in front position) at the drop of a hat. If not then they "don't get to play and have fun anymore." If you're over 4 feet tall 9/10 times you have their respect instantaneously :-P

Less little guys, 6-8: Keep it fun, but take sterner tones with them. Make yourself into (or at least appear to be ;)) the role model their parents want you to be. Be confident, and appear omnipotent in your mastery of both the Martial arts and the world around you. With such awe and respect towards you, they will not only listen to you, they will then begin to learn to train in your image.

Bigger guys 9-12: Take even sterner tones in class. Drill the class a bit more, and make them want to train to become tough, while still having fun intermitently through class. Train them closer to how you'd train an aspiring adult student. If you talk to your students, take the time to give them advice on things if they need it. (note: Make sure you are capable of giving sound advice before you do :-P)

Teens 13-15: Read above last post........:roll:

Older Teens, 16-19: Beat the life out of them :-D.......ok no you don't have to, but my point still stands. Make sure that they don't doubt your ability. Like I said in the last post, always remain confident, and appear to know everything to every question that may come up. When it comes down to it, in sparring, give them a little bit more of a love tap if you feel they are doubting you or disrespecting you.

College bound and then some, 18-20sumthings: Same as the older teens pretty much I'd suppose.

Adults 30+: Make sure that you know why they are training and what they hope to accomplish. If they want self defense make sure everything you say and teach is along the lines of quick efficient protection of oneself. If it's for exercise make yourself knowledgable about different muscle groups, and overall human health. Many adults may look down at you, but I hate to say it, not alots gonna change that. You were born when they were in high school/college/beyond and sometimes there's no way of changing their image of you, even if they know you can kick their butt.

Hope this helped, good luck :)

That was a good post, i agree. Actually im gunna thank you for posting that.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Thanks KempoTiger.

I mostly struggle with the 13-16 age group. They have no interest and most of the time its "My parents are making me". It's like trying to teach a sleeping bear, you ask them at the end of class what they learned and it takes them 5 minutes to think of a answer. Sometimes that answer was not taught in the class.

ugh....I have about 5 like that. Thanks for reminding me :-P

On the other hand though, when you get that dedicated teen student, they usually tend to come out being the best students, martial artists, and eventually instructors. Just that, that age is just a tricky spot for both them and us to get through.