• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Want to take Wing Chun to the competition ring

daedelus4

I kinda had the same feelings awhile ago, i went and faught mauy thai fighters and MMA fighters in any MMA tournament i could, and from my shotokan training i manadged almost all victories except for 2 losses and 1 draw out of 34 something fights. But i didnt really acompish anything except for an ego, strentghen your ground work because youll need it. But i realized i wasnt going to change anyones views so i went back to shotokan and kept training the way i did before, good luck in your goal.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the advice menjo: Question, did you do a lot more sparring to prepare for your tourny experience?

One who excels as a warrior does not appear formidable; One who excels at fighting is never aroused in anger; One who excels in defeating his enemy, does not join issues; One who excels in the employing of others humbles himself before them. This is the virtue of non-contention which matches the sublimity of heaven.

Yes actually, I went to my sensei and told him i what i was doing but didnt say i wanted to prove anything. He thought it would be good for me to have combat experiance so on certain days i would train sparring. I went to a muay thai gym and talked to one of the instructors, and he helped me get in really good shape and showed me some stuff that i would need to know. So yea somedays i would spent hours and hours just on sparring in my freetime. The hardest thing is getting started, so you might have to come in with a hurricane because most people might not take you seriously.

William Penn

come in with a hurricane? Does that mean be very persuasive? Did you you instructors of other styles receptive to your goals?

One who excels as a warrior does not appear formidable; One who excels at fighting is never aroused in anger; One who excels in defeating his enemy, does not join issues; One who excels in the employing of others humbles himself before them. This is the virtue of non-contention which matches the sublimity of heaven.

I meant by come in with a hurricane by taking out anyone in your way, so they know what your capeble of. I dunno what you mean by the last sentence though

William Penn

menjo: please forgive my typing skills, I am still a two finger typist, what I asked was if the other MA instructors willing to help you train toward your competition goals even though you were not a student of theirs? Or did you become one of their students to acquire the training?

o ok, well I type with two fingers too! Its kind wierd i pretty much ended up a student but i didnt train the way they did, its weird. I would go there on certain days and spar with the people there and it became a regular thing. Then he showed me some pointers to help me out, and eventually even though we trained in too completely different stlyes he was teaching me! (except i didnt have to pay like everyone else :) , becuase i wasnt techniqlyu a student). So yea the muay thai instructor helped me out and showed me alot of tactics agaisnt grapplers which is very important... Have you ever faught in a MMA event or sparred with anyone before in MMA?

William Penn

I have never competed in an actual MMA event although i have extensive sparring experience. My wife and her father teach TKD in her home town so I would come in and spar with their class or on occaision if a jr student got out of line by being overly aggressive with either sensei (my father-in-law) or other students we would arrange a little you-dont-know-as-much-as-you-think-you-know sparring with the class. In return I would have my students cross-train with his class but nothing formal. Unfortuantely I no longer live in the same town otherwise he would be an excellent resource but I kinda want something similiar to what is actually used in MMA events like thai fighting, syukoshin(sp), etc. I miss having a full dojo at my fingertips!