• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about kenpo...

Menjo

Seems to me, what you saw were some of the original alphabet techniques, wchi use a lot of hammer fist and much harsher techniques.

In Puerto Rico, in my school in particular, we focus on the general techniques: grab arts, counters, tricks, etc. and leave the alphabet for more serious occasions since the way those should be done with care not to hurt someone.

Dragon's Den- a school from California came to Puerto Rico- their sifu Jeff Macalolooy was really impressive. His students appeared to be a bit shy or they havent really gotten the hang of practising stuff hard, still they know more about escrima than we do. Also, they appear to know more about groundfight while we dominate the stand-up .

It was really interesting to see the areas we were lacking and now we're tryign to fix those areas.

I'd like to see how your school uses its techniques

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to realize that the east coast variant's of Kempo are not as close to "Kajukenbo" as some claim they are. According to Sonny Gascon, George Pesare was only a "purple" belt in Karazenpo Goshin jitsu when he started his school. He later became a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. So I guess he was teaching "Tae Kwon Kempo." It was not untill over 30 years later that Sonny Gascon recognized his claimed rank.

Nick Cerio is probably the person who injected the most kenpo into what was to become Nick Cerio's Kenpo, and Shaolin Kempo, because of his training with Prof. Chow, and Bill Chun.

The forms practiced in the east coast kenpo/kempo variants are for the most part Japanese Shotokan forms, and other later designed forms. There are no Kajukenbo Palama Sets taught in the east coast variants. There are also no original Kajukenbo "Punch Counters", "Grab Arts", "Knife Counters", "Club Counters", "Multiple Man Defenses", or "Alphabet techniques" taught in the east coast kenpo/kempo variants.

One has to realize that the east coast variant's of Kempo are not as close to "Kajukenbo" as some claim they are. According to Sonny Gascon, George Pesare was only a "purple" belt in Karazenpo Goshin jitsu when he started his school. He later became a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. So I guess he was teaching "Tae Kwon Kempo." It was not untill over 30 years later that Sonny Gascon recognized his claimed rank.

Nick Cerio is probably the person who injected the most kenpo into what was to become Nick Cerio's Kenpo, and Shaolin Kempo, because of his training with Prof. Chow, and Bill Chun.

The forms practiced in the east coast kenpo/kempo variants are for the most part Japanese Shotokan forms, and other later designed forms. There are no Kajukenbo Palama Sets taught in the east coast variants. There are also no original Kajukenbo "Punch Counters", "Grab Arts", "Knife Counters", "Club Counters", "Multiple Man Defenses", or "Alphabet techniques" taught in the east coast kenpo/kempo variants.

Very true. I do not know the extent of what Pesare did, but I do know that Cerio for reasons not seemingly documented online, left to train and gain rank with Chow and thus called our school "Kempo" schools.

When I first began training I noticed alot of TKD influence due to some high kicks on some beginner moves, but since then we have either eliminated them, or kept them in training to build leg strength but teach to strike to the knee in actual application.

As far as the forms go, yes most of the beginner ones are standard Shotokan type katas that we use to build habits in using ones core to strike with rather than arm strength. As you gain in rank though, the forms become more complicated and Kung Fu based, although even those I believe are altered for efficiency in building certain good habits rather than sticking to traditional ways.

As far as similarities between Kajukenbo and East Coast Kempo material, like I said, yes they are different, but the concepts and theories are very similar in regards on how to off balance, gain control, strike and flow.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

Yes, it has been 7 years since Prof Cerio passed away. I personally attended many seminars and demos that he performed. I had him autograph my white belt way back in the day. He was something to watch in action.

Sensei

1st dan, tai jutsu

1st dan, Kenpo