• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question about kenpo...

Menjo

Personally, I don't feel Kempo is a style per-se but more of an idea about how to train.

This is a correct statement. Unless my memory fails me, kenpo means "law of the fist". There really is no true style of kenpo. It is more of a collection of laws and principles based on our physical world. People have take these principles and created techniques to teach them and thus, various styles of kenpo were born. But yes, kenpo is indeed a melting pot of many martial arts.

I have a 1st dan in Nick Cerio's Kenpo. I met Professor Cerio many times and he was a phenominal martial artist. It is a shame that he passed away.

Sensei

1st dan, tai jutsu

1st dan, Kenpo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't feel Kempo is a style per-se but more of an idea about how to train.

This is a correct statement. Unless my memory fails me, kenpo means "law of the fist". There really is no true style of kenpo. It is more of a collection of laws and principles based on our physical world. People have take these principles and created techniques to teach them and thus, various styles of kenpo were born. But yes, kenpo is indeed a melting pot of many martial arts.

I have a 1st dan in Nick Cerio's Kenpo. I met Professor Cerio many times and he was a phenominal martial artist. It is a shame that he passed away.

sorry to hear that.......

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

sorry to hear that.......

He passed away 7 years ago...don't worry, most of us have dealt with the loss our own way by now.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

you are going to have to explain that one to me - a mix of kajukenbo and chows chinese kenpo.

chow's kara-ho kenpo is already part of Kajukenbo(the kenpo part).

is it a modified kajukenbo system?

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

you are going to have to explain that one to me - a mix of kajukenbo and chows chinese kenpo.

Cerio trained under a man by the name of George Pesare who trained in Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu under Sonny Gascon. Karazenpo was Kajukenbo, only Gascon and his brother-in-law Walter Godin couldn't use the Kajukenbo name due to politics.

Cerio then left to train under Chow who was then teaching his own variant of Kempo which differed from Mitose's original Kempo Jujutsu.

Cerio's system combining the knowledge of Chow's Kempo and Gascon's Kajukenbo led to the offshoots of both Villari's schools and my Master's.

"chow's kara-ho kenpo is already part of Kajukenbo(the kenpo part)."

Keep in mind that Chow continued to strictly teach his form of Kempo while the BBS focused on refining the Kajukenbo system. Just because Kajukenbo has Kempo in it doesn't make it Kempo. Cerio went to learn from the "original" teacher to further himself.

While I'm ranting, on a personal note, despite all this I can honestly say that none of it means anything. I've grown to not care about lineage or anything such as that because quite honestly it's meaningless. Shaolin Kempo....Kajukenbo....Kara-Ho Kempo...Kenpo. What you learn in these systems is meaningless compared to what your instructor has to teach you as an individual. The only real differences between the systems themselves is just erroneous movements, and nitpicking various stances in kata's and drills. But in the end they all have the same intended purpose.

Cerio trained under a man by the name of George Pesare who trained in Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu under Sonny Gascon. Karazenpo was Kajukenbo, only Gascon and his brother-in-law Walter Godin couldn't use the Kajukenbo name due to politics.

Cerio then left to train under Chow who was then teaching his own variant of Kempo which differed from Mitose's original Kempo Jujutsu.

Cerio's system combining the knowledge of Chow's Kempo and Gascon's Kajukenbo led to the offshoots of both Villari's schools and my Master's.

"chow's kara-ho kenpo is already part of Kajukenbo(the kenpo part)."

Keep in mind that Chow continued to strictly teach his form of Kempo while the BBS focused on refining the Kajukenbo system. Just because Kajukenbo has Kempo in it doesn't make it Kempo. Cerio went to learn from the "original" teacher to further himself.

While I'm ranting, on a personal note, despite all this I can honestly say that none of it means anything. I've grown to not care about lineage or anything such as that because quite honestly it's meaningless. Shaolin Kempo....Kajukenbo....Kara-Ho Kempo...Kenpo. What you learn in these systems is meaningless compared to what your instructor has to teach you as an individual. The only real differences between the systems themselves is just erroneous movements, and nitpicking various stances in kata's and drills. But in the end they all have the same intended purpose.

i know, I know, I'm nitpicking...

Adriano Emperado was taught by Chow and it is the base style of Kajukenbo.

and Karazenpo is a variation of kajukenbo, but I'm not really sure as to why.

So your style must be pretty similar to mine then.... :D nice to know that

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

i know, I know, I'm nitpicking...

Adriano Emperado was taught by Chow and it is the base style of Kajukenbo.

and Karazenpo is a variation of kajukenbo, but I'm not really sure as to why.

I'm short on details, as is usual when it comes to hot button topics such as schools splitting and the like. Karazenpo go Shinjutsu translates in "lightining hands" or something like that. But it's really just the Kajukenbo system with Gascon and Godin adding to it with their own personal flavors in regards to their own past martial arts training in other systems.

So your style must be pretty similar to mine then.... :D nice to know that

From what I've seen yes they are. My Master currently has been formally accepted onto the Kajukenbo tree as per the decision of Sijo himself.

As I said, although we may teach different variants of techniques, the general premise is still there. Be quick, efficient, devastating, and always always use what works for you. The striking points are the same, and the theories presented are nearly identical.

From the Kajukenbo seminars I've personally attended, I'd have to comment that you guys (at least the guys I met from California) execute techniques in a much harder fashion. Professor Powell seems to have quite a liking for flowing with hammer strikes, and driving kicks through the groin when his opponent is off balance.

In my school where I teach, we focus alot more on intercepting strikes rather than crushing them. But hey, to each his own, and if the Kajukenbo schools are any reflection of our schools (or vice versa) then I'm sure that image would change due to whomevers teaching at any given dojo.

:)