• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocking

Hart

I was just wondering if any fellow Karate-kas have had any issue applying blocks. During sparring I usually have trouble applying the correct blocks whenever the opponent attempts to strike me. It's probably hesitation on my part, but sometimes I wonder if the blocks I learned are actually practical in a fight situation. Anybody got any advice?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Perhaps all you really need is just more experience and practice with people striking at you. If you do it enough, you'll become accustomed to seeing certain strikes come at you, and it should come very naturally. Slowly but surely, the hesitation will fade away, and you'll feel better blocking. I hope this helps a bit. :)

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I had a serious problem with blocking so i went to a muay thai gym and faught the thai fighters in a arena with shotokan, i never lost, i got experiance i learned some useful muay thai tricks and i learned how to block effectivly in a situation.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I was just wondering if any fellow Karate-kas have had any issue applying blocks. During sparring I usually have trouble applying the correct blocks whenever the opponent attempts to strike me. It's probably hesitation on my part, but sometimes I wonder if the blocks I learned are actually practical in a fight situation. Anybody got any advice?

How long have you been studying? And what types of blocks are you talking about? For instance if it's a circular block those are harder to master than a simple down block or a pushing block.

It takes alot of skill and experience to block effecively in sparring, not to mention speed and conditioned arms.. I find inside-outside blocks and gedan-beari style blocks to be most effective, becuase they can be combo'd easily.

My tip, Think of the block as a strike to the opponents arm. After a while they just wont want to punch you:)

Lately, do to a hand injury, I don't block. I perry kicks. Punches, I use a push type block to deflect the attack. It's new to me, but I am getting used to it, and I kind of like it better than actually blocking kicks with my arms. Oh, I also use Thai style shin blocks to block kicks (TKD folks hate me for that LOL).

But blocking, perrying, ect all take practice. You will find your "style" of sparring with practice. You will use what works for you.

Laurie F

basic blocks like middle block or outside inside block are not really practical in sparing or a fight, keep both hands up(in close range) make a wedge as soon as you feel the forearm pass your wedge throw your punch ,this is for full contact with gloves

other usefull approch is to block with back hand while steping back( like a slap to incomming punch) and then block/hit with front hand..... anyway there are too many practical blocks but IMO two basic blocks we know are not among them these are good for starting stage so don't worry if you can't use them in their basic form during spar, nobody can!

Sparring is a very different animal then real life. Basic blocks don't work very well with sparring because they are designed to counter attacks made at full speed, power, and range. They are also not designed so much to prevent you from getting hit as they are designed to knock an opponent off balance and position yourself to counter. Not getting hit is simply a nice side effect. Blocks also have many other applications involving striking, grappling, takedowns, and throws.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I think the most common mistake in attempting to use "basic blocks" (or basic understandings of them) is the tendency to statically stay in one place and try to go through the whole exaggerated range of it.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/