• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Digital Camera

ShotokanKid

gheinisch-

My dad has that camera. I'll probably get something similar.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd tag along on this topic and ask those knowledgable about cameras a question.

I've got a Minolta Maxxum 7D (and I absolutely love it), and I'm looking for something else besides the kit lens - not that the kit lens is bad (24-100: 3.5-5.6), but I'm looking for a good telephoto lens that won't break the bank. I've been looking at Tamron lenses and wanted to get someone else's opinion on them. Specifically, I'm debating whether I should get their 24-300: 3.5-6.3 XR Di zoom lens - since my camera is digital it'd be equivalent to 36-450. Now, it seems to me that a zoom lens with a focal length range like that would not be bad on the wide angle side, but a little problematic on the telephoto side. The thing is, it would be cheaper for me to pick up this lens than the other one I want, which is the 200-500: 5-6.3 telephoto lens. While an actual "true" telephoto lens, the latter costs twice more than the former. Thoughts?

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

personal experience.

when buying a lens, it's always better to buy the best you can because sooner or later, you will eventually end up buying that one and the compromise choice ends up being redundant and thus a wasted purchase.

the 200-500 is a hefty chunk of cash but ultimately worth it.

by the way, isn't the tamron di lens rated/graded to digital figures?

how's it going with dslr?

i'm an old school guy and if i'm being honest, i have a slight addiction to the smell of developing fluids..... but digital is always tempting, especially as it means at least four extra hours in a day when i'm working.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

DSLR is the best thing since sliced bread....well, not really, but it's great. I like the freedom and flexbility, not to mention the opportunity to proof a pic right on the spot and make necessary adjustments with the subject to retake. I got into photography using a glorified point and shoot film SLR (Minolta Maxxum QTsi) and had my film developed for me, so I missed out on the experience of raw developing fluids. I suppose playing with RAW files is the next best thing, but I'm not really into burning my eyeballs out staring a computer monitor for too long - it takes me at least an hour per pic to get it the way I want it if I play with the RAW files.

Yeah, come to think of it the Tamron DI might already be adjusted for the CCD size. The thing is, the one I want is $800 on Amazon (MSRP is $1400 I think), and I'm having a hard time justifying spending that amount of money to myself...especially since I broke the bank just getting my camera (the Maxxum 7D is a great camera...but it's crazy expensive. It was $1700 when I bought it, but I've seen it for $1400 other places recently). I really like photography...but I'm not sure if I REALLY like photography enough to drop $800 on that lens.

Maybe if I can make some money with my photos...I've entered a photo contest, and I'll see how I do.

The Chibana Project:

well..... you have to remember that on a slr, the thing you see is pretty much what you are going to get on the print anyway and unlike on digital, you're not likely to get any sudden surprises from the ccd/processor suddenly deciding that it'll change the white balance after all.....

hmm, perhaps i should explain.

my slr is mostly for work and 70% of the time, it's used in a studio where everything is metered anyway so time isn't really an issue (apart from developing negs and prints).

i guess i really do just want a better specced digital but me being me, I also want the best possible or else there's not much point in buying one, ergo, dslr.

i guess on the plus side, I won't have to spend so much on lens if i stick to my old slr make (pentax).

back to the lens.

have you considered getting something like an 80-210 and then getting a 2x converter?

you're not going to get the same results (the usual vignetting from the converter and slightly "wrong" focal length metering) but it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper.

i also have to say that my first impulse was to buy myself a 500 lens but i hardly use it. The ones that see most action is a good ol' regular 50 and my macro (along with a fantastic set of close up filters).

apart from these, i've only ever used a 70-200 regularly.

my friend, you have chosen a very expensive hobby.

I bought a Maxxum (D) 70-210 for my Maxxum QTsi which I use every now and then with my Maxxum 7D. I've got two gripes with it: (1) the autofocus is really SLOW. (2) Even though it's a Maxxum lens, for some reason it does not play well with my 7D - some minor, but annoying metering issues when I use that particular lens. It was a cheap lens ($90), so go figure.

You work in a studio? Are you a professional? I'm an amateur, but I like taking pictures so much that I'm starting to get a little serious about it. Any tips?

my friend, you have chosen a very expensive hobby.

Yep...I have.

I hope Ovine King and I aren't monopolizing the discussion, and I hope there are other camera geeks who wouldn't mind chiming in with some input?

The Chibana Project:

I'm not a professional photographer but I take a lot of photos (of models of the non breathing kind...) as part of my work and study.

if you're using a standard slr lens with a digital, you're always going to have problems with the metering and the hypoerfocal and there's not a lot you can do about it. Rough guide is that it is about 40-60% of what it would be for a 35mm slr. If this means nothing to you then don't worry about it....... :D

hmm... tips....

you're in hawaii, right?

have you gotten yourself a polarising filter yet?

you're always going to have problems with the metering and the hypoerfocal and there's not a lot you can do about it. Rough guide is that it is about 40-60% of what it would be for a 35mm slr. If this means nothing to you then don't worry about it.

I understand most of that (...goes to look up hyperfocal...), but yeah, I tend to make constant adjustments whenever I use that lens.

The polarizer is my best friend...right behind the graduated ND and the ND filters I use.

The Chibana Project: