• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

board breaking

McNerny

How many boards can you break at once?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How many boards can you break at once?

• 1 board
    • 2 boards
    • 3 boards
    • 4 boards
    • 5 boards
    • More than 5

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure on boards.

but have wnet through 3 concrete paver blocks.

yes, they dont hit back, but if you can smash concret with your hands, feet, elbos etc..then now ones knees or ribcage should stand in your way. It is an effective way to learn technique, put your body behind the blow, not just arm strenght, and channel energy and focus.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

So is breaking boards a way of strengthening your striking power and improving your striking technique. Could you explain how it improves your technique?

Even though i dont break boards and wouldnt bother i think what he meant by technique is by inproving kime, and body connection which in turn improves technique?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Hey,

Yes, hitting boards does improve your kime. If you are not focused at the moment you are striking it, you may not break it and I can guarantee that it hurts. So it does improve your kime, which then leads to better and more focused technique. However, I wouldn't use boards as my whole training regime. Like Bruce Lee said, boards don't fight back. But, in the end, I do believe they are beneficial.

McNerny :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

So does breaking more boards or concrete make you better than someone who breaks 1?

'Karate is a set of beliefs and practices that are never grasped in their totality and that generate more knowledge and more practices' Krug (2001)