• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

board breaking

McNerny

How many boards can you break at once?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How many boards can you break at once?

• 1 board
    • 2 boards
    • 3 boards
    • 4 boards
    • 5 boards
    • More than 5

Hey,

I was just wondering if any of you break boards in your karate classes. I have only done it once because it is not a part of our curriculum. I broke 1 piece of 1 inch thick pine with a gyaku zuki. I'm sure I can do two boards, and possibly even three, but I haven't had a chance to try yet.

McNerny :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At my school, this week, is board breaking week (which is once a year. Otherwise isn't part of the curriculum). We are working on technique, not the amount of boards. Since I was at another school, I was teaching people how to hold, not break. But some of the lower ranks did great (Us higher ranks did stick around after our class to hold), after I showed them a few techniques with breaking. It was awsome.

As far as the breaks I can do, it depends on the technique. I can do a back kick with three boards. Normal kicks with two, hand techs with one (so far, except a punch). Speed breaks, one board.

It also depends on the situation. If I'm testing or at a tourny, I get nervous, and screw the break up. But if it's like tonight (normal class), or at home, I can break no problem.

Laurie F

i dont know either in the words of bruce lee whats the point boards dont hit back

Yea to be frank, i think its pointless. You can use your time more wisely doing some better training

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

In my son school they use plastic color boards already interlace in the middle. But he use wood boards too. Depending on the thickness and size the wood boards will be more easy or hard to break.

board breaking can be beneficial. in order to do so you must use proper technique, it also teaches you to hit through your target and not at it, which is one of sparrings disadvantages.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."