• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you will not lose intelligence lol, but ive heard of fighters having temporary amnesia after being severly hit, and if your fighting competitively thier is no way to protect yourself except to learn to bob and weave, parry, block. and so on

~ You first mistake is to underestimate ~

Hey,

Sometimes you hear boxers talked about being "punched drunk", but I don't know how serious of brain damage you can actually sustain from it. I do know that really hard hits can give you detached retinas and "floaters"(which are very annoying, I currently have a ton in my left eye and a few in my right).

McNerny :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

Don't get hit in the head. :wink:

Seriously, you can have lasting effects from just one good kick to the noggin so it pays to keep you hands up and protect yourself. I had a closed head injury from a kick to the temple many years ago and still have some residual consequences.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

My adivce?

Most coaches/instructors won't make you spar at a level you are not comfortable with. You'll start with headgear, and probably with always use it in training (unless you go muay thai, I don't know if they have any rules about that, I doubt it) Even with headgear and 16oz gloves (And shin pads), you don't have spar full contact if you don't want to, especially at first. I found that once you get acclimated to hitting and getting hit, you'll love full contact and want to do it all the time!

Two Final Notes:

1. Competition is probably where a dispraportionately large number of injuries happen, (Because of lack a of headgear and a "KO" mindset rather than a learning mindset) and no one will force you to compete.

2. Get a Brain Pad double mothguard. It's what I use, and it absorbs a lot of the shock of getting hit. And, of course, it offers a degree of extra protection to your brain.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Yea, i know a guy who took muay thai when i did and he got some sort of wierd thing where his whole body would involuntary twitch because he took so many kicks to the head...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

it's rare that this actually happens. The way to prevent it is to train smart. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a handful (less than 5) pro fighters who have suffered from this. Once upon a time, I had a statistic showing how rare it actually was. To be honest, boxing is one of the safest sports out there, especially on an amateur level.

but you have to admit, compared to pro-boxing, amateur boxing rules are a bit, well, pansy.....

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

rain damage

Looks like you might be suffering from to many head shots :P

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.