• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some help..please?

Two things..

I wanted to know if theres anyway I could combine a vast amount of styles. I've learned alot in only 14 years..I've learned a little bit of everything and I would like to know if I could combine the following styles of martial arts..

Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo, Jujutsu, Ninjutsu, Boxing, wrestling (roman greek), various kinds of kung fu, american karate

----------------------------------

And I would also like to know if theres anyway I could improve my kicks and punches. I know alot, probaly as much as the average blackbelt in karate but I cant really kick or punch too fast..

...one strike is all it takes...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can't help you much on the first part of your post, but the last part I am working on and can tell you what I'm doing.

First to improve your puches and kicks, you have to learn really good form. Next, you have to practice them REAL SLOW using PERFECT form until you're sick on it. Then mix up slow, medium and fast speed workouts. From there start hitting and kicking a heavy bag.

It will take time, but if you keep a notebook and honestly look at what you're doing, you'll see that you can quickly improve.

FYI, I've really improved my kicks in the last month. They're not close to what I want, but they're not as sorry as they used to be. (they do have a long way to go thought)

its better to do one thing and be really good at it, then to do amny thigns and suck at em all, not that you suck on them. like Fairfax said, get good form and your technique down first, then start mixing it.

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

I'd recommend taking what works for you, personally, from each of them. For example, IMO there's no need to have 30 different types of punches.

I would recommend finding one well rounded style and sticking with it. By well rounded style I mean a style that practices grappling, groundwork, striking, and throws. There are many styles that offer well rounded approaches such as traditional Okinawan Karate, many styles or schools of kung-fu, Aikido, etc...

After practicing this one style for a while (10 years +) you will learn to apply all the other things you've learned through that style. Then and only then will it all fit together.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Hmm yes thank you all. Just now I have to pick which style. I've been doing pretty much been doing Aikido, Karate, and Tae Kwon Do for as long as I can remember so I guess I'll pick one of those.

...one strike is all it takes...

or you could train in jeet kune do,they take all that is usefull and discard all the useless stuff.Also they train in every range of combat.And they don't mind that you use things that u learned previously,as long as you find them usefull.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

or you could train in jeet kune do,they take all that is usefull and discard all the useless stuff.

Actually every art does. They just differ in opinion as to what these things are.

Also they train in every range of combat.And they don't mind that you use things that u learned previously,as long as you find them usefull.

A good Okinawan karate class is the same way they just have a different method of getting there. Aikido also practices strikes and weapons so you really aren't missing out of any "range of combat" if you work with a good Aikido school either.

Since you have a couple of good well rounded arts to choose from I would suggest choosing the art based on who is teaching it. This will make the biggest difference.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

What I see in many cases where someone wants to get "the best of everything" is that they go to a class for a few months then go to another school and learn some more techniques for a few months and change again and keep doing this. What ends up usually happening is the person knows a lot but has poor technique in most. A good way to start is to take one of the three styles that you have worked at for a while and stick with just that for a bit. I have often heard recomended that you should focus on a style until you get to the advanced ranks then start taking an second style that has more emphasis on some of the techniques the first is weak in. Example: Start with TKD then compliment it with a grappling style like Judo or Jujitsu or vis a versa. Just remember to keep practicing the first one and not give it up entirely to the second. This will enlarge the bag of tricks immensely. I've only seen a handful of people that have done this with more than 2 styles before age 30, but all of them are truly skilled and can be extremely devastating.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.