• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan, Goju Ryu, and Judo: self-defense effectiveness

If taught properly, which is more effective for everday self-defense?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. If taught properly, which is more effective for everday self-defense?

• Shotokan
    • Goju Ryu
    • Judo
    • Aikido

I'd say some kind of grappeling art since you have the striking end covered. Judo's good because you train at full force and application. Fights do go to the ground and it's a good thing to know what to do if that ever happens.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aikido may be easier to justify if you have to go to court afterwards. If you can end a conflict by controlling your attacker rather than injuring them severely, all the better in the eyes of the legal system.

All the arts you mentioned are wonderful for self defense. It's like using a gun, you can either aim for the heart, aim for a limb, or shoot in the air. All three can end a conflict, with differing results.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I dont mean to argue and I'm sure you know this, however I believe that the deeper things are acheived through the simple things. If the deeper things are given and not achieved, then the deep loses its depth. Also, simple things are often overlooked, as they(yes i'll say it)...always... have a deeper meaning . I know what you mean though, it just takes time to get to those "deeper" things.

Just some thoughts.

YES that is so true! I've found that to be true when teaching music to kids, you can tell them all you want about musicality and style but eventually the best ones are those who first learn the technique and then develop musicality by themselves - then they have a feel for it, it's their own stuff. As in, they try and play beautifully, not because you tell them 24/7 to try and play beautifully, but because they want to.

Haven't done enough MA to comment on that aspect too but I'm sure it applies as you said.

I don't know much about aikido or judo, but I think goju ryu is an very effective martial art.

I think of aikido and judo as softer arts and not as aggresive as goju ryu - but like said before, it depends on who you are. In wing chun we say: "To be kind against your attacker, is to be cruel against yourself", goju ryu is also like that.

Shotokan is more a wide-stance "hit and run" sport and have a "one hit, one kill"-philosophy. Goju ryu doesn't count on that and continues attacking vital points or grappling until the opponent can't move.

Goju ryu is very all-round, it contains grappling, throwing and groundwork like judo and aikido. Goju ryu also emphasizes breathing, training equipment (hojo undo) and sanchin kata, which separates it even more from the modern sportskarate.

So, out of those arts I would go for Goju ryu..

Well my sensei started with judo at first when he was young and then at I think it was 12 started taking shotokan his focus was and is more on shotokan but he knows judo pretty well and therefore is a really well rounded fighter at least in my mind. I think you should start with whatever you feel is best choose either a stiriking or grappling art first and let that be your focus then take another on the side.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

I don't know much about aikido or judo, but I think goju ryu is an very effective martial art.

I think of aikido and judo as softer arts and not as aggresive as goju ryu -

judo is VERY aggressive. It's not called "the gentle art" because of it's lack of aggression. It's called that because of the principles they use.

Goju ryu is very all-round, it contains grappling, throwing and groundwork like judo and aikido. Goju ryu also emphasizes breathing, training equipment (hojo undo)

judo utilizes equipment training as well.

• 8 months later...

The sport oriented aspect of the randori that judo offers is very beneficial to practitioners, as it allows for full-speed training. Full-speed training more closely resembles actual self-defense, and therefore, can be more beneficial.

I think you can get good conditioning from any of the arts listed above. It will just depend on the instructor's teaching philsophies and methodologies.

• 1 month later...

I would go for Goju. Very fast to the point Okinawan style that like to come out tops. I used to train regular with a Goju school and loved it. I remember one session i had a reverse punch into my stomach, it was a sickener. Next day there was a bruise on my stomach the size of a fist!!!! As for the grappling part, we did ground stuff in it so i would recommend over the other martial arts. This is not taking the other arts lightly, all have their own great points too!

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking along these lines the other day, I study an offshoot of American Kenpo. Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you want very effective self defense then I feel that AK is an excellent way to go.

Then general idea is to examine a situation and run through possible scenarios, such as if they throw a right hook and I counter by ducking under it, what options do they have available to them, and what options do I have available to me.

But then again most "Traditional" AK schools end up looking like Superman fighting Lois Lane. Instead of hitting hard, hitting fast, and moving on.

"I'd rather have 10 techniques that work for me than 100 techniques that work against me." -Ed Parker

Hello, JUDO ....it will not hurt you. The first thing you need to learn is how to roll and fall. Before you ever get into takedowns and throwing.

Judo is the basic aspect in allmost martial arts...learning to fall and how to land.

Best thing is to try JUDO and experience it for your self. Maybe try for a month or two. I am sure you will stay with the program.

You will learn and see how effective this gentle art is. You will also learn about ground work,(chokes,holds,locks and so on).....BEST to try for your self. .....just sign up and go.............Aloha

Many Judo schools maybe set-up for sports side...but wait to you see the combat side....