• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teach yourself?

When i say commercial/franshice i mean places where the way the instructors got to their position is that they payed 10 thousand dollars, went to a few seminars then were handed their black belt and a certificate. You need to find somewhere with people who have actual experience. If it a school which has branches, thats perfectly fine i think its pretty cool cause you get to hear about other peopel and meet new people every onc ein a while. You just have to make sure the instructor got to their position from experience and not just money and a few extra hours.

In my experience, you have to watch out just as much for the independent schools where the instructor earned a black belt and thinks he can teach. I know of several large organizations (what you refer to as a franchise) that have very rigorous instructor training that a black belt must complete before he is allowed to teach, much less open a school. These programs require years of instuctor training after receiving a black belt.

--

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to find a "qualified instructor" because certificates and belonging to orginizations doesn't quite mean they are a good instructor.

Just find one y our comfortable with and where you feel satisfied with the training your getting and how it meets your goals for doing the martial arts.

As others have stated I would highly suggest taking a closer look at what you are looking for.

If you want good sparring go to a karate, TKD, or kung-fu tournament and watch for groups that seem to do well.

If you want to participate in the latest "full contact" craze look up any mixed martial art dojo and ask about their full contact training.

If you want to learn how to really fight though, my opinion is that you should open your mind as to what "good training" means. For example let's take Ueichi-ryu. Lots of conditioning, kata, and applications. But the dojo's I've seen did no point or contact sparring what so ever. Does this mean they don't work? Well feel free to ask the instructor a few questions and see how he demonstrates things to find out for yourself, but to save yourself the pain you might just take my word for it. Ueichi-ryu is startlingly effective.

The first thing any student has to get rid of when walking into a dojo is his preconceived notions. Even when choosing you need to ask good questions and not judge them before they answer. Walking into a dojo saying "If I don't see this or that it's a bad dojo" isn't the best way to do it. Because I garantee there are ways of fighting you've never seen and if you aren't willing give an instructor the benefit of the doubt you'll never recognize them for what they are. The jewels of our arts.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.