• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

question i should know but don't

JimmyNewton

Jimmy

you may know that Sensei Doug Perry is the rep. for shorin ryu-shorinkan in US , and he lives in NC. who is your sensei? or do you know his sensei?

actually i hope you are in the summer camp with sensei perry right now(18-21 Aug), if you missed that. there is another one in Nov. that we go ,here in Houston , anyone intrested and applies for Nov. seminar may camp in my living room,

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I found the book, OKINAWAN KARATE. Teachers, styles and secret techniques, by Mark Bishop, to be a good source on the different styles of Okinawan karate.

The book is OK. However, Bishop has a couple of little mistakes there. One is to list Chubu Shorin-ryu as a style, while it actually was an association. "Chubu" means "central" and "nanbu" means "southern".

All Okinawa Karate-Do Association divided its Shorin-ryu styles to these two regions, "chubu" and "nanbu". Mr. Bishop apparently didn't have this information available and he listed Seibukan as a style under the name of Chubu Shorin-ryu.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I found the book, OKINAWAN KARATE. Teachers, styles and secret techniques, by Mark Bishop, to be a good source on the different styles of Okinawan karate.

The book is OK. However, Bishop has a couple of little mistakes there. One is to list Chubu Shorin-ryu as a style, while it actually was an association. "Chubu" means "central" and "Nanbu" means "southern".

All Okinawa Karate-Do Association divided its Shorin-ryu styles to these two regions, "Chubu" and "Nanbu". Mr. Bishop apparently didn't have this information available and he listed Seibukan as a style under the name of Chubu Shorin-ryu.

Jussi, I'm not sure if that's a mistake or not. He was discussing how several styles got together to form the All Okinawa Karate-do Federation, whose aim was to preserve the "traditional" karate styles.

He goes on to say that "Zenryo Shimabukuro, Joen Nakazato, and others decided to divide the member Shorin styles into two geographically divided branch associations. Nakazato's Shorinji-ryu came under the South Island (Nanbu) Shorin branch and Shimabukuro's style, then known simply as Shorin-ryu, came under the Middle Island (Chubu) Shorin branch."

I think he made it quite clear (at least to me) that the Chubu and Nanbu branches were just that. Branches. I know there are different styles of Shorin-ryu as well as different schools. I don't think Mr. bishop was trying to intentionally mislead. Although I could be wrong.

Carl

P.S.

Jussi, just out of curiosity, what does Seibukan translate to? Thanks.

I think he made it quite clear (at least to me) that the Chubu and Nanbu branches were just that. Branches. I know there are different styles of Shorin-ryu as well as different schools. I don't think Mr. bishop was trying to intentionally mislead. Although I could be wrong.

Ah, we must be talking about a different part of the book. I mean the part where he describes the dojo and style of Shimabukuro Zenpo (son of the Seibukan founder, Shimabukuro Zenryo) and where he uses "Chubu Shorin-ryu" as a style name. If I recall correctly, the association text is elsewhere in the book (and is rather correctly done).

I don't believe that Mr. Bishop would have done that intentionally. I have a feeling that he's a rather honest person. The mistakes in his book aren't that monstrous and my belief is that he really has tried to do his job as well as possible. Given the comprehensive nature of his book, the small mistakes are unavoidable.

You can find an article about common mistakes regarding Shorin-ryu Seibukan (including the Chubu Shorin-ryu -issue) here.

Jussi, just out of curiosity, what does Seibukan translate to? Thanks.

It translates to "holy art school". It was a name that Shimabukuro Zenryo gave to his dojo, located in Jagaru, Okinawa, in 1962 (he did teach karate before that, but built and named his head dojo in 1962).

Hmm, Jussi, was your copy of the book in English? Just a thought that maybe in translation things got messed.

Yes, the book was in English. The mistake is in both the first and the newest edition. Sadly, I couldn't meet Mr. Bishop in his seminar in Finland (I was too busy at the time with other immediate issues) and discuss about this.

With all being said, I think that Mr. Bishop's book is a decent one and well worth its price. There aren't that many good karate books around and it certainly is one of them.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

hey guys. I just got to get back online this morning.

I want to give everyone who had input a sincere thank you.

someone asked if i do know of Doug Perry. I do and will be training in hendersonville in october or november.

I am currently working with Sensei Willie McIntosh, who will be retiring in the fall. hendersonville is 2 hours away.

kind of a haul, but hile my wife and i have no children yet, now is the best opportunity.

thanks again for all who contributed.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."