• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

LOOKING TO START A MARTIAL ART

Hi guys. After seeing your replies before, i decided to start a martial art...but i am not sure yet. I heard about muay thai, kickboxing, kyokushin karate, but i am not sure...My question is: Which martial art has

better methodologies that are effective in:

1-Streetfighting/real life situations?

2-Also cover things like fighting against opponents who are armed?

3-Against multiple opponents?

4-And which is good in closed areas, such as clubs and bars?

If you have in mind any martial art that answer all this 4 points, it would be better, if not, answer each point (from 1 to 4) separately, please. thanks :)

I think that the best sport is football (soccer) because is a wonderful game but the best sport (to do and feel oneself better) is any martial arts :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1. Avoid them if at all possible. Better to avoid a fight then get hurt. Baring that, Any martial art (not sport orientated) taught well, and practiced correctly will fit the bill. The trick is to find the one that is best for your body type.

2. see #1, when you're looking at dojo's talk to the instructor and see how much training they do on this. Also keep in mind that avoiding an attack by someone armed is always the best thing that you can do.

3. Again, avoid situations that get you into things like this. Keep your mouth shut, avoid bad areas, don't get drunk in public, etc.

4. Avoid these whenever possible.

Now with all of that said, I'd suggest you look into finding a good dojo, and understand that it takes time to be a good martial artist.

FYI, Uechi is an excellent all round style and one of the hallmarks of the style is that it has been coined "phonebooth fighting" since many of the movements are compact and require very little space. Also the style has a good combination of strikes, grabs, kicks, and blocks. Nothing overly fancy but highly effective in the real world.

In your case I'd avoid commercial schools, and find an instructor who will work with you to help you find the inner art in you. You'll find that as you do this you'll have less desire to fight and more desire to have an ability to defend yourself if needed, but want to avoid conflict.

I can only speak from my experiences so this is my advice. Try San Soo or Budo Taijutsu. San Soo will show you techniques and movements you can use right away. Budo Taijutsu takes a bit longer to sink into your body, but when it does you will see fighting in a whole new way. I play with people from all different styles and they are always amazed with the solutions to attacks Budo Taijutsu has to offer. It's a great MA. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I'm going to move this one to the Getting Started Forum. You may get more answers for your question there. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

In my area there are all kind of styles, martial arts and other technics..i only want to know your opinion, please, dont make me wait so long for your answer

I think that the best sport is football (soccer) because is a wonderful game but the best sport (to do and feel oneself better) is any martial arts :)

In my area there are all kind of styles, martial arts and other technics..i only want to know your opinion, please, dont make me wait so long for your answer

Really, if you are in Buenos Aires, there really aren't all that many 'quality' schools. I think that should be your first priority... find out what schools are available near you, what their rates are, and then whether they are quality. From there, you should sit and watch the class of each one and find which ones intrigue you. If they don't intrigue you, then you shouldn't study there. Also, if you're short on money, you may be able to join a nice capoeira club that works out at the park where the Museo Historico Nacional is at.

Good luck

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

The first lesson you may have to learn is patience. If you want thoughful, helpful answers you may have to wait a little while. We can give you opinions, but they don't mean a thing if you can't garner access to the martial art we suggest. They also won't mean anything if the instructor of the martial art we suggest is terrible. You need to follow the advice of White Warlock and start looking around for yourself. Another thing, just because JKD was started by Bruce Lee doesn't make it the best thing on earth. Those schools are restriced by the same laws that govern every other school. For it to be good, it must have a good instructor, a good infrastructure, and willing participants.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

SUPPOSE THAT I WANT TO GO TO LIVE TO ANY PART OF THE WORLD TO LEARN A MARTIAL ART...THE POINT IS:

Which martial art has better methodologies that are effective in:

1-Streetfighting/real life situations?

2-Also cover things like fighting against opponents who are armed?

3-Against multiple opponents?

4-And which is good in closed areas, such as clubs and bars?

PLEASE HELP ME, TELL ME WICH PART OF THE WORLD SHOULD I GO TO LEARN WICH MARTIAL ART AND WICH STYLE AND. DONT WORRY ABOUT MONEY, AVAILABILITY OR IF INTRIGUES ME OR NOT. YOU ONLY SUPPOSE THAT I HAVE A LOT OF MONEY, AND INTRIGUES ME ALL MARTIAL ARTS AND I ONLY WANT TO KNOW WICH PART OF THE WORLD SHOULD I GO TO LIVE TO STUDY A MARTIAL ART THAT COVERS ALL THE 4 POINTS MENTIONED BEFORE. THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

PLEASE, ANSWERS LIKE THIS:"IF YOU WANT TO START A MARTIAL ART THAT COVERS THE 4 POINTS OR ALMOST THE 4 POINTS, YOU SHOULD GO TO (name of the country and city) AND LEARN/STUDY OR PRACTICE

(name of the martial art and specific style)" THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I HOPE A LOT OF ANSWERS. I WILL BE PATIENT.