• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dealing with mentally handicapped children

I am an assistant instructor at my dojo, and in one of the classes, we have a child who has a mental handicap. He complains about how stretching and doing stances hurt. He will say, "This huuuuuuuurts!" and he wont sit properly during seiza, fidgets, complains, and frequently will not listen to instructions.

While some of this is not his fault (short attention spam, etc.), what should he be held responsible for doing? How hard should I be on him?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience with mental handicaps if you just treat them like people and not illnesses they respond phenomonaly.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

We try to treat him normally, but he often wont listen to directions and will loudly complain. We can't treat him like a normal person if he wont act that way.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

do what you'd do with other students. If you need to make him do a few pushups, do some running, do something. You can't just let things go on that disturb the class. If it is beyond everyone's control, talk to your sensei about talking to his parents. Karate can be good for people who are mentally handicapped or who have ADD, or other assorted disorders, but if he continually disturbs the class which disallows others from having their full time to practice that's not fair to them. Unfortunately, you may have to consider not having him in the class.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

a couple questions, how old is the student, and what is the nature of the mental handicap (how serious, what is it, etc.)?

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

Have you talked to his parents about what methods of discipline he responds to? Does he have an aide at school that you could compare notes with?

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

like everyone else said treat him like anyone else. If he disrupts then punish him. After doing some knuckle push ups he will get the message. And you have to speak loudly to get his attention.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

a couple questions, how old is the student, and what is the nature of the mental handicap (how serious, what is it, etc.)?

about 7 I guess, and I'm not really sure how serious it is. He has control of himself, it's hard to say how bad it is.

Have you talked to his parents about what methods of discipline he responds to? Does he have an aide at school that you could compare notes with?

The main teacher of that class (I'm just an assistant) talked to his mom yesterday. We had him sit out and his mom said that was a good idea, maybe he would get the idea. That was his first time sitting out, maybe he got the message.

He's school aged, he can control himself, is this an actual mental handicap or is this ADD, ADHD or something of that nature?

- Tao Te Ching