• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The kick was originally taught to me to be delivered at solar plexus level, but I was later informed that I should throw it as high as possible, so I began throwing what basically looked like a roundhouse to the temple.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it all depends on which interpretation you want to follow (or your teacher follows). :P I'm guessing this is the kick after the grab? I've seen videos and pictures of shotokan's bassai kicking to the knee. My teacher's version (taekwondo) has the kick to the knee, followed by solar plexus, and ends with a flying side kick. Then again, he hasn't taught me the form yet. I learned it myself by watching the black belts doing it. ^_^

I think it all depends on which interpretation you want to follow (or your teacher follows). :P I'm guessing this is the kick after the grab? I've seen videos and pictures of shotokan's bassai kicking to the knee. My teacher's version (taekwondo) has the kick to the knee, followed by solar plexus, and ends with a flying side kick. Then again, he hasn't taught me the form yet. I learned it myself by watching the black belts doing it. ^_^

Really? Three kicks instead of one? Interesting... I'd like to see this done

I once dod Basai as a demo in fromt of an entire grammer school and I forgot to do the side kick (Argggggh), which was my favorite part because I could get that kick just over head high. Do y'all do the side kick high or low? Here is a video of someone doing Basai and he does the kick at knee level:

http://www.natkd.com/movies/NATKD_Forms/Bassai.wmv

The side kick height in Basai hasn't usually been a item of debate for the most part in our school. We usually have an emphasis on practicality and therefore usually through the side kicks at the level of the floating ribs. However I know that for demonstrations we will through it at a higher level like the head. Depends on what you want to achieve by it.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I train Basai both at karate (where it's known as Bassai Dai) and TKD. Although I'm not at a level in TKD yet to train in this form, I've seen it performed.

At karate we aim for the knee and below. It's more of a "scraping down the leg" type motion rather than a kick.

At TKD it's aimed at the ribs and is a proper side kick.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hm, I just found another version of bassai. o_O Looks similar, with a lot of differences... For instance, instead of two blocks in the beginning, it looks like they use spear-hand attack. But the side kick is to the knee. ^_^ Supposedly, this is shorin-ryu.

Anyway, I still like my teacher's version, love the extra kicks. :P

dude in my school for your first test you have to do two two minute rounds that are full contact with only gloves, no footwear or headgear

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."