• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training at home?

ShotokanKid

I will be attending a tournament in September. I attend all the classes offered to me, but I want to train more to better prepare myself for this. What do you suggest I do at home? I plan on practicing my kata in the living room. What else do you suggest I do? I wont have a partner at home to practice kumite with. Also, should I do stamina drills?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stamina is very important in kumite. If you get tired, your performance won't be at it's best.

As far as kata, it is important to have an experience person watch you practice your kata and make suggestions as how to improve the visual effect of your kata.

What works works

If you can, video tape yourself doing your kata. Review it and see where you need to make improvments. Prepare youself mentally as well as physically. Many a times I would leave the mental game at home thinking my physical game and spirit can carry me through.....you need all 3 to balance your life triangle. Good luck :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

One thing I read was to do your Kata on different kinds of surfaces. Try going out to a feild or going to a pool or lake and doing them underwater. Also doing them on a hill or in the dark will make you more proficent(sp?) As for kumite take a page from boxing and stand in fron a mirror, also play out scenarios on your weakest points in your head. Good luck!

There is no teacher but the enemy.

To get your fitness up for kumite, do some running or cycling. To get your strength up, do some push ups. Kumite can get very tiring.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

I will be attending a tournament in September. I attend all the classes offered to me, but I want to train more to better prepare myself for this. What do you suggest I do at home? I plan on practicing my kata in the living room. What else do you suggest I do? I wont have a partner at home to practice kumite with. Also, should I do stamina drills?

Well you should be practicing as much as possible. As someone said, using a video camera is a great thing. But we also highly recommend using mirrors. Work in a room with mirrors, work slow, and get great form. Keep doing it over and over and you'll see huge improvements.

As for Kumite, the only way to get good is to do it. As other said, do as much cardio work as possible to build up your lungs. I recommend running as much as possible. And practicing techniques as much as you can. Drills such as step and punch and getting to a target fast and away fast are always helpful for building speed in kumite.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I appreciate your advice.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

If you are preparing for kumite , running and stamina drills are useful . And as mentioned , train on your weakest points in kumite AFTER running and stamina , also train on combos in front of a mirror

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike