• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ready for Judo??

Hi there, my name is Matt and I'm a yellow belt in Shotokan karate. For a while now I've been interested in training in Judo along with my karate. I am a bit worried though, mainly because I believe it may be too early to take on another martial art. I am very devoted to my karate training. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions or has been in a similar situation about wanting to start a 2nd martial art, but not sure if it's the right time.

Thanks for any replies..

M

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well im considering taking a second martial art (aikido) and ive just graded for shodan.... im not really sure because im haven't cross train with another dojo before, but i see alot of people saying it is good to develope a base before you go off and try somthing new.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

I cross trained in Judo for a while. I was only a 5th gup/kyu at the time. It was different enough that I didn't mix the two (Judo and TKD, that is). Now I'm a 2nd gup and I'm about to take Jujitsu (when my schedule settles down). I'll let you know how that goes.

From what I have seen, most karate schools mix Judo and/or jujitsu with in their system, anyways (at least in my area, that is). One Shotokan school I visited (and trained at for a short time) mixed jujitsu with Shotokan. If it didn't close down, I would have went back.

So I don't think it's a problem, as long as the two arts don't "clash" or are so simlar that you confuse them.

Laurie F

i would say go for it

just remember you cant throw your karate opponant in sparring, and you cant kick your judo opponant in the head, unfortunately... :)

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

Yes, go for it. Crosstraining can be very beneficial and teach you to be a more rounded MA. I have actually considered crossing over to judo myself :)

Just remember to open your mind and learn judo when you're training judo and the other way around. You need to have sharp boundaries, especially at first in order to get your basics straight. When you have strong foundations in both arts you will benefit from mixing them, but don't do it too soon or they will confuse you.

Good luck!

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

I'd say that they styles would be different enough for you not not get them confused. Give it a go - even if you don't stick with it you've improved your MA experience, which is always a good thing IMO. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Everyone should learn atleast a few throws and go over them alot. If you are losing in a real life fight you can always say screw it rush in take a hit grab the guy and throw him down beat him senseless and that is that.....

My personal view though......is watch out for those schools that teach to throw a guy and go down with him. That is very unnessasry and its a sacrifice move. I grapple very good and with the best, but we are taught its practicaly useless in a real fight because during a bar fight, or street fight, or gang converantation you can't just go down to the ground with another guy when 10 of his friends are above you and standing.

Also watch out for fighting myths....like 80% of all fights go to the ground. Which that is very untrue unless both are grapplers and skilled and do it on purpose. I bounced for years and my Grandmaster bounced for over 30 years at another place and I can only think of a few that went to the ground and they all involved women.

To become the greatest warrior, one needs to train beyond the physical and into the spiritual becoming supernatural. It is then that the warrior will know that he is indeed not the greatest, but just awakened.

https://www.manabimasho.com

It's probably best to learn one martial art moderately well (at least get your black belt), and then allow yourself to expand your views. But since Shotokan and Judo differ enough in approach, it might be fine in this case.

Personally, I got my black belt in traditional TKD (very similar to Shotokan), and plan on starting Judo later this year... so I don't feel nearly as helpless with my arms :)

I did just what you are considering except that I had done TKD for about 2 years when I took Judo. I did find that it complimented it very well, to the point where I did almost through a roundhouse kick to my opponent after a throw :roll: . However, this not being allowed it would have been an issue if followed through on. Back on topic though, I would recomend spending a bit more time in your current style before jumping into a second one. But when you are ready jump in whole heartedly!

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.