• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My answer - No.

It has some elements and techniques that could be useful in an encounter, but as a whole I do not think a person should spend a large amount of time learning sumo unless they want to compete in sumo tournaments. If the primary goal is self-defense then take up another art.

No , sumo is not a complete art for self defense , however , sumo is not for average people and I won't pick a fight with a sumo practitioner .Those guys are huge

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I'll go against the grain on this one - yes, you can use it for self defense. It is full of grappling (standing) sweeps, throws, etc. even some elementary palm strikes. it lacks some striking aspects, but that doesn't render it useless. You can say the same of judo. or muay thai (lacks grappling) ALL styles lack SOMETHING - even if they have it "in the system" they don't always train it enough to be effective with it.

I'll go against the grain on this one - yes, you can use it for self defense. It is full of grappling (standing) sweeps, throws, etc. even some elementary palm strikes. it lacks some striking aspects, but that doesn't render it useless. You can say the same of judo. or muay thai (lacks grappling) ALL styles lack SOMETHING - even if they have it "in the system" they don't always train it enough to be effective with it.

Judo contains a wide variety of grappling techniques (standing and ground) while all what you get to c in a sumo match is two huge guys pushing around !!

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I truly believe that if you combine the super strong sumo takedown techniques, with high effective grappling ground manouvers, you become a monster..... :brow:

One year later.....! Japan again..

This time to win, and not to get injured I HOPE!

They get destroyed because they have focused on their own rules for competition and have not modified their training to adjust to the different rules. The techniques in sumo are effective, unfortunately the traditional structure of the competitions of sumo tend to encourage pushing, instead of takedown (approximately 40% of matches end in someone being pushed out of the ring). Also, they do not practice finishing techniques, and thus suffer the same fate as wrestlers. Get them there, but then don't know what to do with them.

And last, the sumo practitioners that have entered these mma competitions (and K-1 is not an mma competitions, in my opinion), may be champions, or near-champions, in sumo, but their physique is not fit for these types of competitions. Their bulk becomes a liablility.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro