• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD, are you confident to use this in the street.

would you use TKD in the street?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. would you use TKD in the street?

• yes
    • no

I wouldn't use any of the longwinded fancy maneuvers, or really anything above solar plexus level. But I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use a back cross side kick or a front snap kick, if need be.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to think TKD was very ineffective until i saw iranians use it. they have the best/most applicable street style TKD because there are so many real fighting encounters over there. this is the reason they are often the world champions of the TKD sparring, often better than korea themselves. i remembor at one point they were world champions in every single category including women's. seeing for myself some of my dad's friends use real street TKD convinced me that any martial art can work for you as long as you believe in it and are realistic about it.

style:wing chun

Don't try to predict the outcome of a fight. just let nature take its course.

Hi all,

Like the old adage suggests, "It's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog!".

I know people who could have a Black Belt in several martial arts and still couldn't defend themselves in a physical confrontation, yet I know some good street fighters who have never had any formal training, yet win fight after fight.

TDK techniques can be used on the street providing the user is proficient in using them. In my experience (12 years TKD & 2 years as a Doorman) it would be far more prudent to stick to the few tried and tested street techniques that are generally found in most arts, including TKD.

Forget the flashy jumping/spinning kicks to the head, because when the brown stuff hits the fan your chances of pulling off one of these techniques on a moving figure, in the dark, in cramped surroundings, is very slim indeed.

Stick to Low kicks, Palm strikes ('Tiger Claw' & 'Chin Jab'), Knife Hand strikes ('Axe Hand' - long & short), Knees, Elbows, Gouges and Slaps. All of these, with the exception of Slaps, can be found in TKD, it's just a matter of training them for street use and keeping all the flashy stuff for the dojang.

As far as knife attacks/defences go, there are a few good defences out there such as Darren Luar's "Pat, Wrap & Attack", Karl Tanswell's "S.T.A.B." and also the "G.U.N." knife defence. Statistics show that in successful knife defences you will get cut, the average being 7 knife wounds per successful defence. In my opinion in an edged weapon confrontation is don't be there!

I've had a few edged weapon confrontations in my time and none of them ended pretty.

Take care,

"Don't call me Sir!"

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

kick the out side of the hand in which the knife is he wont be able to stab you becuase of the knife in hand positioning he should drop it then you should kick ity away while finnishing him as he is still holding his hand

the best thing is to run though its not worth getting stabbed trying to be a hero

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Hi Jay,

If you can, then 'not being there' is the best option, but if you've got nowhere to run, then you need to do something.

Unfortunately kicking knives out of hands doesn't work because most knife fighters use the 'knife back' position, with their lead (open) hand out in front. In the 'knife back' position (knife on hip) it is is virtually impossible to kick the knife out of the aggressors hand.

Get a friend to hold a rubber knife in the'knife back' position (positive/standard grip) and try disarming him with kicks, whilst on the move - it ain't going to happen.

Take care,

Garth.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

on the street, there are no rules. if i got into a serious street fight, if it was 1 on 1... which it rarely will be, i would never kick higher than the knee, anything above the knee to the groin i'd use my knees, and i would bite and elbow mostly. don't think i'd throw a punch unless it went to the ground and i was on top.

then i'd bite some more.

seriously.

and i'd pull hair if there was hair to pull. and i'd slap the ears as much as possible.

what's the point in trying to do something fancy and cool on the street if you can't walk away from it? tkd isn't supposed to be a combat sport. that's why we're called "taekwondo players" not "fighters"

KwicKixJ1, I agree. Not that TKD is bad (I do TKD), but I learn the "dirty fighting" in jujtisu. My instructor showed me on my first lesson how to use technique against force. No weapons yet, but he made me a total believer in whatever system I am learning, I can make it work.

Laurie F