• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD, are you confident to use this in the street.

would you use TKD in the street?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. would you use TKD in the street?

• yes
    • no

i know only 1 person who has ever used this in the street and he got a clean roundhouse in but got a knife in his shin then got stabbed in the inner thigh then beaten up. altho he was red belt. would you say you are comfurtable enough to use this in a very unpredictable situation? (other types of martial artist welcome to talk about their martial art and using it in the street)

"keep death in mind"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used it once when I tried stopping a guy (not calling him a man) from beating on a lady. Well I was able to block a punch and grabbed the wrist anf put him into the groud with it. He did not have any weapons. When others (friends of his) came and found out what happened they actually thanked me for stopping him from doing anything to her. She was thankful as well. I was shocked I reacted as I did.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

I'm not a supporter of head kicks anyway, but if the guy had a knife, then a head kick would be the LAST thing I would do. Also, if he got a "clean roundhouse in"..the fight should have been over at that point, so I would guess that it wasn't as clean, or powerful, as it should have been.

Where a knife is involved, kicks need to be low, fast and hard to knees or lower. The groin and inner thigh are good if the knife is out of consideration, such as held high.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

You would think all TKD taught was a kick to the head to listen to some of these posts. I would think alot of these people haven't been to very many dojangs.

Long Live the Fighters!

Where a knife is involved, kicks need to be low, fast and hard to knees or lower. The groin and inner thigh are good if the knife is out of consideration, such as held high.

I agree. I do TKD, and I do all the fancy kicks. BUT I wouldn't be stupid enough to kick higher than the ribs. Hand techs are actually perfered for me.

Anyways, I have used my training in self defense, but I was in Tang Soo Do at the time. I used hand techs first, and used a side kick to the ribs to finish. It worked well for that situation.

My TKD school actually teaches to use knees, elbows, low kicks, and palm strikes to vital areas, so I think I could use it in a real situation as long as a gun isn't involved.

Laurie F

You would think all TKD taught was a kick to the head to listen to some of these posts. I would think alot of these people haven't been to very many dojangs.

Have to agree with that appearance. However I do think that TKD can be effective. Any martial art can be effective if it was taught well and practiced on a regular basis for a long time (years). I know of several TKD practitioners who have used it in self defense situations and it has been extremely effective.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I totally agree.

Just because TKD incorporates head kicks (and other flash!) doesn't mean that that is all it is about. It's like saying MT people just knee, karateka just reverse punch and Caoperistas just spin and flip. Just not true. Ditto for the thing that TKD is only concerned with flasy head shots.

Anway, I think that TKD incorporates techniques that can be used in a RBSD encounter. So, yes, I would use my TKD in a street fight.

I'd also use the knowledge I have from other MA's I've trained in too, as well as a healthy dose of common sense (such as not kicking someone in the head when they have a knife).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Lately i used my TKD agains a policeman and a taxidriver...

The Martial art teach us patience, patience that i had wt the taxidriver to avoid giving him a piano-smile and wait the police.

The police arrives and, without knowing or asking anything tiketme for $50.00 by disturbing. Without a chance to apelate.

Live your day as it is the last, think like gonna live forever.

Well being in shotokan doing what he did would probably be the last thing id do. I stick to the basics, if i was to kick id kick his kneecap or stomach.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn