• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Samurai sword fighting question

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think two MASTER swordsmen might decide who won before a single cut was made.

I've read it in numerous places that to attack first is to show that you don't control your spirit and that you aren't really in the moment. As I understand it, if both swordsmen had adequate mushin, neither one would draw their sword until the other drew first. (Reflecting the danger rather than instigating it.)

http://www.bujindesign.com/gall_rising.html

I agree

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

every fight is differerent it could last 5 sec or 5 min

I really don't understand how any actual combat with real katanas could last 5 minutes once cutting began. Since katana's weren't designed to block cuts and doing so will usually snap or render unusable almost any blade, if you took two of the most inept swordsmen ever to wield a real katana and faced them off together I would image that in the first 5 seconds they would either injure themselves beyond being able to fight, destroy their blades, kill each other, or run away. I just can't imagine a scenario where 5 seconds could go by without one of these things occurring. Maybe if they decided they were sloths and convinced themselves they had to move super slow. :roll: But in all reality, with katanas a swing-in, someones probably going to die in seconds. If they know what they are doing it won't be longer then 2.

As far as masters facing off and never fighting I question how much of that is legend and how much is reality. If masters ever did have a reason to fight they wouldn't strike until they either had an opening or made an opening. While theoretically this could cause a stand off I'd be willing to bet in most situations it was a question of who got the drop on the other.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Has anyone read Mushashi's The Book of Five rings?I think there are principles in the book that suggest the outcome of actual sword fights...I could be wrong though...^_^

The stronger swordsman does not always win.

all of you...are wrong, if there were two MASTER swordsman, then i would think it would last a couple of minutes, cause if they truely were MASTERS then they would know how to counter the moves thrown at them.

But if this is true then you could say the same for any fight between two swordsmen who are at the same skill level.

it really depends on the swordsmen, if they were truly master swordsmen then the fight could last a long time, think about it, if they were masters they would know how to parry every movement, but that also means it could take a short while, it depends on the swordsmen fighting

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

and no you couldnt...because some people at the same skill level could know different things...my friend and i are at the same fighting level and i know more than him, but that doesnt make me better than him at fighting

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/