• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

in need of kumite help!!!! and quickly!

welshdragon

anyone got any advice on how kumite? ever since i got my nose smashed in the students championships back in november, my confidence in kumite has just got lower. i find myself pulling out as i go in and not totally committing myself to my techniques. as a reestult i am losing more and more fights, which knocks my confidence still further.

can any one give me any help or advice that will get me back on track with my kumite, before the students championships this year?!

and now the training begins...........

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just train hard. Work on speed, timing, good technique, and how to cover when attacking.

Be confident in yourself. When you get out in the ring, be sure of yourself.

Other than training, it's all about the attitude. be confident, but don't get too comfortable. Learn some strategies from a sempai, and practice them so that it become very easy to use.

Ask your instructor, because he can help you most, as he knows you and how you perform.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

thanks! that is so helpful. it's strange though, in training, i seem to be able to handle fighting most of the other dan grades, but as soon as i get into a tournament, all the training seems to vanish! now that cant be normal!! i am getting better though, and Sensei says that it's imporving, but i think the others in club have let me drop into the "comfort" zone while we are training. maybe this could account for the drop in confidence and performance out on the mat? the fact that i know as soon as i walk out there there is no "comfort" zone??

I'm glad that helped. Yes, the training does seem to vanish when you get in the ring. Just try to ignore the crowd and people, don't think about them. Think it's just like a regular sparring session at your dojo. And don't worry, that happens to a lot of people. Don't try to plan everything out, your body will react when the time comes. Just stay relaxed, and practice a lot now so that your training will come easily when you're in the ring.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

thanks! you're a lot of help. it's good to know that there is a way to help me get back on my feet! :) i'll try what you suggested when i go to the shotokan cup next month (provided my muscle has recovered, i pulled it badly in training last night) and see how it works for me.

thanks!!!! if you think of anything else that could help, it would be appreciated!!! :karate:

• 1 month later...

I've always looked at having your nose smashed in as a rite of passage.

My philosophy is you can't really learn how to dish it out, untill you've taken it quite a few times.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

its ok to lose to your opponent must not lose to fear-Mr Myagi KK3

be brave i know its hard and i have the same problem relaxing helps as you flow alot better try meditaing it will help clear your mind before a fight

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• 4 weeks later...

Just remember one thing. You have been hit and you know what it feels like the worst that can happen has happened move forward and think of it as a learning experience.

By this I mean most people fear being hit and you have tasted it with this said do not let ego, pride or fear get in the way. If you go in there and give it your best that’s what matters most as with getting your nose broken something had to have happened. Only you know what mistake you made or what you could have done better to have insured that from happening if something could have been done.

You are doing a good job by going back in and trying but you are letting something be it your pride or fears get to you. How can you win when you let yourself defeat you before the match begins? By this I mean you have already in your mind let your fear win now you are outnumbered out on that floor.

I am not saying all this to be mean but just to give you another way of looking at it. I have a lot of respect for you for going in there and for not giving up. Being prepared mentally is equally important as the physical aspects. I think it's good to work on every part of training :)

Respectfully Yours,

Keith

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!