• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

legal help?

I really want to organize an open style ma tourney in my state featuring full contact/knock down & submission style fighting...but the only laws I can find on the books relate to boxing.....Can someone shed some light on what I should do to protect my butt on legal grounds? I'd like to award a cash prize to the winner(s) but I'm cluless on the legalities of such. I've heard that they just made the tough man contest illegal here, that makes me a little leary.

thanks!

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

all competitors have to sign a waver saying that if they get hurt its there fault, there is really no law on that just make sure you got everything set up, on the cash thing, i dont know, but i think that is free game

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

all competitors have to sign a waver saying that if they get hurt its there fault, there is really no law on that just make sure you got everything set up, on the cash thing, i dont know, but i think that is free game

Such waivers have been successfully challenged many times in the courts and defeated.

Best advice is to talk with a lawyer. Maybe go to one of the more reputable boxing gyms in town and see how they set theirs up?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Consult a lawyer , but i don't thing that visiting a boxing gym is going to do any help since their tournament style requires gloves and karate - well , at least kyokushin karate - does not allow to wear any protective gear .

I am against the cash prize thing , after all the main goal of competition is to test our metal not to win prizes , why not awarding the winner with a medal or a cup ??? Good luck

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 1 month later...

Good advice all around one more thing you will need to do is get insurance for the event. They do have Tournamanet Insurance you can get and I strongly suggest having this it will in the end save you when all else fails.

You will need to shop around for a good company some will charge by the person some will just charge a flate fee. Also see how much the coverage is. For example it might be 1 million in coverage some will be 2 million. Its good to shop around and see what best suits your needs.

Respectfully Yours,

Keith

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

• 1 month later...