• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thoughts on kata.....

SenseiMike

I am shamelessly giving my opinion without any kind of introduction here, for that I apologize.

I see it as so, and I could be wrong in my assumptions. Kata should always be practiced with utmost seriousness. This means training against real attacks, in that every technique should feel like your knocking it through your opponents’ body. This is the only way to learn how to put forward that kind of technique as often times we must hold back even in the most realistic kumite session. However I do not believe this requires a sacrifice in form. Form over application does not exist, because form is a proper application. Certainly in combat you are not likely to hold your fist at your obi, leaving yourself completely exposed. However how many times have we been told in things like muscular training to go through 'the full range of motion'? We therefore can not truly understand a technique if the full range of motion, from obi to target point, is not exerted.

Also I think we should remember that as karate-ka we are not boxers, who waste there energy bouncing around the ring. (I do not mean to offend warriors of that art) Therefore the forms of our stances are very important. Good form keeps you from falling, keeps each technique strong, positions you to best use your tanden and can conceal techniques.

"Karate Training is not only in the dojo." - Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thank you for the compliment returning_wave. I'm glad to see you liked the post.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

i think the katas should have a clear definition in the hard aspects and the soft but it should also have a great deal of grace as well as proper technique

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

How important to you is it to have a "pretty" kata? I used to strive for perfection in Kata performance, but, now I'm starting to differ. I think that kata were designed as a way to focus the mind and body together in the practice of technique. I'm a very heavy application guy, I stress them in almost every class, but lately I've began to to think that running the kata should be more a complete meditation style acting of the techniques on a visualized partner. However, if you run them that way, they look a bit ugly....

any thoughts?

It is as important as you think it is, no more and no less. Or are you asking "What impresses other people more?" The answer to that is that pretty kata are very impressive, but mostly folks are impressed with really great kumite skills.

My experience in Japan was that the kumite guys really sort of ditched kata for the most part and the kata guys weren't so great at sparring.

The two skills are sort of at odds with each other, since a kata master pays close attention to details and tries to move perfectly - but doing this in a kumite match is very self-destructive. Highly-refined traditional techniques don't win matches - being loose, relaxed, and having other skills like timing, distancing, and good reaction time is what helps.

You can learn a kata in class, but you will never master it unless you practice countless times whenever you can. Eventually it is supposed to be a form of meditation. Sometimes it is refered to as moving zen where you stop thinking and just move as each and every move becomes a part of you and you move but don't think, just being.

Focus