• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how would i teach my own martial art?

also, practicing as a part of your life gets you learning something new every day you try it. not just as a part of a class, i can do it when my passion for it is at its maximum, sometimes i go out at 1 or 2 in the morning to soak up the atmosphere of calm and usually meditate a little bit before practicing my wrath kata and my own little tradition i have of preparation and and control of my own mind. i attend a gym on mondays, wednesdays, fridays.

"keep death in mind"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's understandable that you are very enthusiastic about martial arts. Most of us are, or we wouldn't be here. Now, kickboxing can teach you how to kick and how to punch, but it can't teach you why to kick and punch. Exchanging ideas with your friend can teach you how to grapple and do joint locks, but it won't teach you the principles behind grappling and joint locks. I would suggest taking a traditional martial art for at least a little while. It will aid you in incorporating pressure points, martial theory, and philosophy into your martial arts training. The martial arts is about far more than kicking and punching. There is a large amount to understand that you can't by reading a book. You can't understand it by only practicing on your own. You need real training in a traditional style to understand some things. What you're doing has been done many times before. Your style probably isn't as unique as you think it is, I'll give you credit at the try though. There are some people on this board with as much exhuberance as you're showing when it comes to the martial arts. A few of them have far more experience than you or I. We're talking 2, 3, or 4 decades. They are still holding their tradition, because tradition is a very important part of martial arts. Before you think this is coming from a 40 year old guy, I'm going to tell you I am 19, but I do have 13 years of experience in IsshinRyu.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Hey if you have this style all written down in a word format, PM me and I'll give you my email. I will honestly review what you have and give you thoughts about what you have and how to teach it.

I am not interested in criticizing you because of your age or the fact that you want to teach your own style, all I would like to do is see what you have, and if I can be of any help.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

It sounds interesting. It remind me about Bruce Lee and his innovating ideas in the time that he lives. I will advise you to continue develop this MA and to listen to any advice that this forum can give you. They are good!

I'm not gonna tell you to stop or that your style won't work ebcause I don't know. But as was said before, you need ot understand things you seem to not understand. I put most of my thoughts into the martial arts, It's been just a few months voer a year in my martial arts class and I am just learning that theres a WHOLE lot more too martial arts then belts and fighting. It's almost like a way of life. There are many things you could not possibly understand from a kickboxing class.

You claimed you could beat your teacher, I take that as a sign of either a horrible training place or simply your teacher let you win.

The techniques you listed are used in every martial arts. I my self am a Fire, water kind of guy, other though use other things ect when they fight or spar. You have just utilized the ancient ideas of every martial art and given them a name. I'd say you'll need ot do more practicing with real sensei's.

But then again you could have something. I'm not one to put down others ideas or creations.

Needing to focus...

well im not gonna lay it out as harsh as manabi i will you gotta get a lil more experience and a few more years before you get to "loud" about how good you and your style are, because confidence is good but useing it to mislead students is wrong.............or we could all be wrong and you could be the ultimate martial arts prodigy, otherwise slow down talk to some people here about your style more seriuosly bounce ideas off them and learn

I agree with the others. I had a reply that I typed up yesterday but due to ISP problems it didn't post. Manabimasho1 said things better than I could ever. But I'll add my points anyway:

1. as an 18 year old you really don't have the experience or maturity to teach a "new style"

2. Based on your other posts and what you've said, you're just a beginner and really have no business teaching others the limited things that you've learned.

3. Just because you can beat your instructor in sparring doesn't mean that you are the ultimate fighter. I've spared my Sensei and have "beat" him on a few occasions. Some times it's been luck. Some times he's working a set of moves and I get in on him. Other times, I just executed a technique really well and managed to get it timed perfectly. Does this mean that I can beat him? No way. I'd be a fool to think that I am a better fighter than him. Do I have a technique or two that I do better than him? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe on a given day I could. But who cares, what matters is that I'm getting better each time I get into the dojo.

4. How much real time do you have in the dojo? How many seminars have you been to? How much time do you train? Who do you train with? How much conditioning do you do?

5. As for teaching. You'll find that it takes a great deal of time and effort to teach. Not only do you have to know what you're teaching really well, but you have to be able to understand your students, and be able to get them excited about what you're teaching. You also need to be sincere or eventually they'll realize you're a fraud. And what if you teach someone something and it doesn't work. Are you ready to deal with someone getting hurt, or even killed?

Now not to make you feel like I'm bashing on you. So I'll offer some things I like about you.

1. You really seem sincere. This is good as you'll need it.

2. You're young and full of energy. Try to keep this as you get older. Teaching will wear you out at times and you'll need to be able to dig deep to get through the rough times.

3. You say you read a lot and study a lot. This is great. Don't ever stop. Keep learning.

And some advice.

1. Go with your heart.

2. Listen to your elders, and hear what they're saying. Don't dismiss things and don't take them on faith. Learn to digest things and act on them once you process what they are trying to say

3. Ask questions. And make sure you're getting good answers. Also ask the RIGHT questions. Learn to see when someone is giving you an answer that is just what you want to hear, or if it's some stuff they made up, or if it's just junk getting repeated.

4. Finally, take everything in life with a gain of salt. Life is hard. So try to enjoy it while you can. And especially enjoy your youthg as life goes by fast.

• 2 weeks later...

you seem to be a very sincere person and that goes a long way. someone mentioned how bruce lee had a similar viewpoint. true. he studied an art for a time, studied some philosophy and decided he wanted to teach a "new" way that he called jeet kun do (way of the intercepting fist). of course some may dispute these statements. this "new" style incorperated techniques used in a mix of various styles that already existed at that time.

let us not forget about daruma who began by studying chi kung and developed his mind and body to the point that he felt he needed to share. he was rejected by the "learned" and went to the shaolin temple to teach the monks there, but they also refused to hear him out- resolute, daruma meditated for nine years and was finally accepted and taught the monks... kung fu. nothing is new, but nothing ever was new. there have only been slight changes in techniques over the past millenia and if you feel in your heart you have something, refine it-practice it-live it- and share it.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog