• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Got my gold belt tonight!

UsagiYojimbo

This was a surprise. In my karate class, we had our first formal testing tonight. For my previous belt, I had attended an informal testing. So we had to let the senseis know if we wanted to participate. So I chose to participate, but just as a practice; I wasn't intending to test for my belt. I've had health problems on and off the last few weeks, and I've missed way more class than I would have liked (wishing, of course, to have missed none). It was nerve-wracking! So, I went through all of the testing procedures, and I was so nervous I just kept screwing everything up. Plus, my legs were super-tired, and I just didn't have the strength to stay low enough in my stances. Afterward, one of the senseis got with my and discussed how I did. He brought up the issue with stances, and a couple of other things. So I have lots to work on. But then he said, "Well, the senseis decided that you're ready to advance to gold." I think my jaw actually dropped! Later, when we were at Tommy's Pizza, my sensei was talking about how my primary issue had been not being low enough in my stances. And he stressed, "Well, you'll find that if you This was a surprise. In my karate class, we had our first formal testing tonight. For my previous belt, I had attended an informal testing. So we had to let the senseis know if we wanted to participate. So I chose to participate, but just as a practice; I wasn't intending to test for my belt. I've had health problems on and off the last few weeks, and I've missed way more class than I would have liked (wishing, of course, to have missed none). It was nerve-wracking! So, I went through all of the testing procedures, and I was so nervous I just kept screwing everything up. Plus, my legs were super-tired, and I just didn't have the strength to stay low enough in my stances. Afterward, one of the senseis got with my and discussed how I did. He brought up the issue with stances, and a couple of other things. So I have lots to work on. But then he said, "Well, the senseis decided that you're ready to advance to gold." I think my jaw actually dropped! Later, when we were at Tommy's Pizza, my sensei was talking about how my primary issue had been not being low enough in my stances. And he stressed, "Well, you'll find that if you come to class regularly, you'll develop enough strength." Yeah, ok, point taken. :) So, just sharing some awesomeness with you all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Great,Congradulaion.what kata you did for your test? did you spar?

I had to perform Fukiyu Kata Dai Ni. I also had to demonstrate bunkai from Fukiyu Kata Dai Ichi and Dai Ni. I didn't spar; gold belt is 8th kyu in my style, and we don't spar at that level.

hey good job i also got my gold belt recently i also didnt do my best either but that day seemed off.anyways yeah its a great feeling isnt it

Do not follow me I may not always lead, do not lead I may not follow, just walk beside me and be my friend-unknown

"A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a joke or worried to death by a frown on the right person's brow." Charles Brower

Congrats keep it up, thats the best way to grade IMHO. What kyu is gold belt then?

regards maki

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.