• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi all.

i was just wondering if you people could help me find what martial art would be suit me.

i would like a martial art that doesnt involve to must kicking because im not really flexible. after i started lifting weights, my legs started to become pretty stiff( i forgot to stress after every workout).

basically i would like a martial arts to use during street fights that invovle mostly punching and a few kicks and also one that would equip me to fight on the ground.

i thought about this myself and thought maybe a combination of muy thai and jiujitsu would be good but i dont know.

thanks for your help.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A lot of styles don't require high kicking. Many okinowan styles focus a lot on punching and low kicking. Wing Chun uses few, if any, high kicks. Just stay away from Korean styles if you want to avoid high kicking.

You could also join a "high kicking" style and learn to strech correctly and eventually be able to perform those kicks. :)

Usually the best way to handle this situation is to find out what schools are in your area and visit them. Watch a class, and then speak with the Instructor and maybe a few students. Find out if it’s good for you. After visiting the local schools, we might be able to give you a little more advice or information, but not knowing what is available to you we’re just guessing.

I think its chinese name is Liang-I (snake kung-fu). It involves absolutley no kicking. Good luck finding a place to train.

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

I would agree. Find a style with not a lot of kicks, but also be willing to learn to stretch and learn to kick higher. We don't have high kicks, but learning to do them helps with lower kicks (it's easier to do a low kick than a high one, and if you can do a high one with power, the low one will be very powerful).

Muay thai or boxing would be great for you, if you're willing to endure it. It's real, applicable to self defense, and the kicks aren't too high.

BJJ is also an excellent art to study, I'd highly recommend it as it is the best grappling out there. They don't teach you anything except how to fight.

PS start stretching!