• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defenses against mount.

Theres only two escapes from the mounted position- the bump and roll, or "upa" and the elbow escape.

Banana peel, Bridge to butterfly gaurd with sweep, heel hook/foot lock escape, then their is the one where you put your feet in their arm pits and push them off of a high mount. Allthough the ones you mention are the bread and butter escapes I have used all of those others succesfully.

I dont know what the banana peel is, but all the other escapes require the use of a bump and roll, or an elbow escape.

For example, you cant do the heelhook or footlock combo unless you elbow escape to put yourself into that position. Bridge to butterfly guard is a bump, just minus the roll. Feet in the armpits is what I referred to as the backdoor escape, and I dont feel it works well against anyone with half decent jiu jitsu.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

bridge and and elbow escape are the most common and high percentage moves to getting out of mount. learning to use them to help each other out. bump them do the elbow escape or elbow escape but not working bumb. bumb works good also for putting them into butter fly guard. I use a combination of those.

Yeah the back door one isn't a high percentage move in my opinion. Then again depends on the person. akira shoji and what is that other japense guys name who's on takada's team, with sakuraba. I Forgot he has a good back door escape also.

Banana peel- Say im mounted..all i would do is kick my left leg out straight, turn twords my left and hook his right leg with my right leg then pull it over achieving half gaurd.

As far as backdoor escapes I have used them on blue belts before secessfully. above that it gets hard to use any mount escape with too much sucess :)

• 2 weeks later...

TJS,

The banana peel sounds like an elbow escape with aid from a hook! The exception is that you are choosing to stay in half guard (presumably to set up a sweep).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."