• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Defenses against mount.

I recently started training Kosho Ryu Kempo and we do a lot of full contact (full resistance or whatnot) ground work.

Their main defense against being in the mount is to wait for your opponent to drop his weight and for you to attempt to push on various facial and arm pressure points all the while "zig-zaggin" in a semi-crab walk in an effort to toss him off of you or at least allow you to partially escape and improve your position.

Anyone else have some insights into escaping/improving position from the "mountee" position?

BTW, I'm pretty psyched to be in a striking art that practices full resistance grappling work. :) Apparently they do exist.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The key is doing it well once instead of bridging haphazardly over and over. Get a good grip, make sure his/her base is low enough, then go for it.

Tip: Keep your elbows tucked in to your sides, and they will prevent your opponent from coming up high and tight, where it is much harder to bridge him from.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

I wouldent reccoment trying to use pressure points on someones face while mounted..your asking to be arm bared.

The best escaape in my book is to trap a same side arm and leg then bridge and roll.

Pressure points to the face are exactly what you DONT want to do while you're mounted.

For one, your opponent has a considerable positional advantage over you when he has the mount. Trying to do pressure points wouldnt yield great results, because he can simply move his head away from your hands. You, on the other hand, are braced against the ground, which means that he has considerably more control over you.

The second reason, as was mentioned, is that if you extend your arms from the bottom of the mounted position, you're giving your opponent a perfect opportunity for a clean armbar attempt.

If you want to use pressure points, save them for the positions in which YOU hold the advantage (i.e. YOU have the mount, or the back mount) and not your opponent.

Theres only two escapes from the mounted position- the bump and roll, or "upa" and the elbow escape. Some people may argue the back door escape, but I dont believe it to be effective against anyone worth their merit.

Theres only two escapes from the mounted position- the bump and roll, or "upa" and the elbow escape.

Banana peel, Bridge to butterfly gaurd with sweep, heel hook/foot lock escape, then their is the one where you put your feet in their arm pits and push them off of a high mount. Allthough the ones you mention are the bread and butter escapes I have used all of those others succesfully.

it seems to me that the pressure points would be a bit too aggressive from the mount. That's just my opinion though. Keep your arms in, and try to go for an upa or an elbow escape...these are high percentage safer bets.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Theres only two escapes from the mounted position- the bump and roll, or "upa" and the elbow escape.

Banana peel, Bridge to butterfly gaurd with sweep, heel hook/foot lock escape, then their is the one where you put your feet in their arm pits and push them off of a high mount. Allthough the ones you mention are the bread and butter escapes I have used all of those others succesfully.

I dont know what the banana peel is, but all the other escapes require the use of a bump and roll, or an elbow escape.

For example, you cant do the heelhook or footlock combo unless you elbow escape to put yourself into that position. Bridge to butterfly guard is a bump, just minus the roll. Feet in the armpits is what I referred to as the backdoor escape, and I dont feel it works well against anyone with half decent jiu jitsu.