• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you had the chance to train in either, which would you pick & why?

As a matter of fact what is Kyokushin's style made of>

I know that HKD is based on joint locks, throws, sweeps,etc;

So your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BBJ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train in kyokushin , and i do some aikido from time to time /which is similar to hapkido in many ways / , now if i am to choose between kyokushin and hapkido , I’d defiantly choose kyokushin , simply because I LOVE IT

Kyokushin is a hard style of karate founded by Sosai Masutatsu Oyama , and it's one of the hardest forms of TMAs around ,kyokushin emphasizes combat effectiveness and power .

Kyokushin , unlike other forms of karate , requires that a student fights with no protective gear ( except groin protector ) , each fighter must not only strike hard but also be able to take hard hits .

Kyokushin is also characterized by it's full contact , knock down tournaments

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

If you had the chance to train in either, which would you pick & why?

As a matter of fact what is Kyokushin's style made of>

I know that HKD is based on joint locks, throws, sweeps,etc;

So your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BBJ

If I had to choose between the two, then I would choose Kyokushinkai karate. If you can find a good dojo then your training will be tough and your fighting will be contact. Kyokushin possesses a vast array of techniques and it is much richer than many people think. It does possess joint locks, sweeps, throws and more. You will just need to be lucky and find the right dojo/sensei, and the rest will be up to you.

There are others here in this forum that actually practise Kyokushinkai and hopefully they will provide a more intimate and precise input on this great style.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

I think I'd prefer hapkido. I like the joint locks, throws, and other nastiness that hapkido has to offer. Kyokushin is a great art, all my respect to it, but I'm really not interested in full contact bareknuckle fighting which seems to be the most touted aspect of the art, at least on these boards.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

It sounds like a great style, I'd like to spar with some of those guys sometimes, in our system we train hard (so called realistic) & soft (so called un realistic) but I also go over to a Kajukenbo school to spar & those guys like to go really berserk :o also I've been going over to a school that teaches BJJ & Muay Thai & I like to spar with those guys as a matter of fact their teacher is a has won a couple of belts & one was from a Prankration Tourney, his fighters are good they also have a Tang Soo Do guy there who's pretty good, I sparring there for their Friday night fight nights when there's Kenpo stylist, BJJ'ers, MT's,JJJ's, TKD,etc; they have a strong network of other MA's that like to come by fors those things.

I've alway enjoyed sparring & learning in that type of setting, but I'll say this out of everything out there I've tried a few and sparred alot with other systems and competed in events but I always stayed with Jang Mu Hapkido. It's a system that encopasses everything that HKD is suspossed to be & can stand it's own against any style. :wink:

I'm gonna search for a Kyo school in my area & go over to check it out.

Thanks for the replys,

BBJ

I train in kyokushin , and i do some aikido from time to time /which is similar to hapkido in many ways

Actually, it's the other way around. Hapkido has 'some' things that were 'adopted' from aikido.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

IF the hapkido student trains with a tough training methodology, definately him.

Especially if it is Combat Hapkido :).

Like MMA or not, it taught us at least two undeniable lessons.

1. Train tough!

2. Be able to strike and grapple.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

A little history clarification:

Daito ryu Jiu-jitsu formed the basis of hapkido and Aikido. Choi Yong Sul merged his jiu-jitsu knowledge with kicking and striking from his native Korea to create.

I had a great discussion with an aikidoka who visited my dojang. We got talking about technique, so showed me an example. I'm not sure what the technique is in Japanese, but I recognized it immediately as an "inside out wristlock." The only difference was he performed it in a more forgiving circle while I did it in a more violent, shorter, motion (typical of jiu-jitsu compared to aikido). Both work, I have seen my instructors employ both, and I use both.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

As previously noted,

Kyokushin is not all Knock-down fighting.

I know kyokushin karateka who havent fought ko in 20years, but still practice it for selfdefence, fitness, and higher awareness everyday.

Even when one is no longer able to compete in full contact, they can still train kyokushin wholeheartedly.

Kyokushin does indeed practice a vast array of trapping, manipulation, and throwing, and it was originally allowed in full-contact kyokushin tournaments at an early stage (~1960's), along with knee+groin kicks. But did not last for long, for obvious reasons.

Just wanted to clarify.

As for HKD Vs. Kyokushin.

I dont know, Ive only trained HKD with hacks, never been to a decent dojo, or been immersed in the art, so my opinions will be unwillingly biased.

But I do know one thing, Kyokushin is the most COMPLETE martial art ive ever studied.

It encompasses everything I can think a MA should, and when I think of more, the answers always in one of OyamaSosais books, or in the heads of a Shihan/Sensei, or even Kohai.

And from what ive seen, 99/100 people who start training kyokushin never look back.

Cheers.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."