• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Myths & Realities of The Knife

Ryukyu1

First off, I've never been seriously cut, so I don't know how it feels to cut or get hack off by a machete. But maybe I'll try it out this weekend. The natural endorophines will do me good.

Second, I know what tendons are. They're fibers that connect your muscle to your bones, and if severed you would not be able to move that piece of the bone (in this case, your foot).

Third, unless I'm running around naked and meet a jungle man carrying a large machete on the street, it's going to take alot more than one swing to get me badly cut. Especially if I'm wearing jeans, and clothing. Now, if he was close enough and wanted to stab me, thats another issue. Thats where always being aware of your surrounding becomes important.

Fourth, no one should try and explain medical terminalogy to an idiot. Especially someone who is as much of an idiot as the other person. Its like the blind leading the blind. Gets us nowhere.

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2002-04-23 10:39, [CT]pizzaboy wrote:

First off, I've never been seriously cut, so I don't know how it feels to cut or get hack off by a machete. But maybe I'll try it out this weekend. The natural endorophines will do me good.

Second, I know what tendons are. They're fibers that connect your muscle to your bones, and if severed you would not be able to move that piece of the bone (in this case, your foot).

Third, unless I'm running around naked and meet a jungle man carrying a large machete on the street, it's going to take alot more than one swing to get me badly cut. Especially if I'm wearing jeans, and clothing. Now, if he was close enough and wanted to stab me, thats another issue. Thats where always being aware of your surrounding becomes important.

Fourth, no one should try and explain medical terminalogy to an idiot. Especially someone who is as much of an idiot as the other person. Its like the blind leading the blind. Gets us nowhere.

It doesn't take a machete to severe a tendon even through jeans. A simple medical scalpel will do the trick just fine. I don't know if you've ever been in a knife fight and if you have it may have been different from the ones I have been in. Once the man pulled a buck knife with about a 4-5 inch blade. Again a stiletto type blade about 6 inches. Then again a 4 inch butterfly knife. Sure I'm not a medical expert, but any one of those knives could cut through your jeans and damage your tendons, tissue, and blood supply. I've done a lot of blade work and it doesn't take much to cut through clothing if your blade is even mediocre in sharpness.

As brought up in an earlier post a blade movement of even an inch by his design or luck can cut deep. A one inch wound is very very deep. You've cut into some deep tissue there and may even hit some nerves, ligaments, or even tendons.

Of course it's important to be aware of your surroundings, but if it was that simple then almost no one would ever have to face a guy with a knife.

I'm glad you know what tendons are. I'm proud for ya'. So you know too that if that tendon is cut by chance through your jeans that when you pull your foot back and try to stand on it you'll fall over. If that happens then what? Shock maybe for starters, shock may not happen. You certaintly can't stand up to fight, you can't use your foot for leverage any more. Or what if it isn't your foot that gets a severed tendon, what if it's your hand? Or arm? Or above the knee? One swing, if it connects, is all it may take to get you badly cut. This isn't the movies or dojo training, friend, this is real. Human flesh cuts easily, normal street clothing provides minimal protection. Unless you're wearing mail, or leather armor, the knife will cut through.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. But a knife fight is a serious thing and approaching it McDojo style won't help.

A man attacking you with a knife will be close enough to stab you or the point of him pulling a knife would be defeated.

Now, are you trying to argue with me because I hurt your pride? This is a discussion on knife fighting techniques and what we can do to better equip ourselves to avoid injury or death. Not a contest of words. If you're wondering why I called you an idiot then re-read your post to me. Then before calling names make sure you read the post well.

This pointless banter ends here. Unless you have something constructive to add to the mechanics behind a knife fight don't post anything. Who am I to tell you what to do? I am nobody. But I am trying to equip some people with better tools to prepare themselvs for a knife fight. Sorry if that bothers you.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I'll agreed to that our little chat ends here, bro, and continue with the discussion. With the last post, i just had to clear things up. :up: :up:

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

hey great thread guys...i like your post alot yoda...going back to one of your earlier posts where you said that women should have training in grappling...that's a good call...Rorion gracie invented a program especially for this purpose (ie the RAPESAFE seminars.) speakin as a strict grappler (i havn't studied any martial arts besides brazillian jiu jitsu) going to the ground with a guy armed with a knife isn't something i would like to do.

" The art of Kung Fu San Soo lies not in victory or defeat, but in the building of human character." Grand Master Jimmy H. Woo