• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Three Rules of Self-Defense

I realize that. But, have you ever been shanked? you CAN'T just ignore it. During the adrenaline rush (which doesn't always last the entire duration of the fight), you may not even feel it, but once the rush is gone - you are in pain.... lots of it.

Out of curiosity though, what are you doing to teach them to learn to ignore it?

I agree with everything else though, especially the short term self defense classes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Obviously after the fight it's a totally different story... and if you've been cut.. GO TO THE HOSPITAL! And yeah I know that the adrenaline rush won't always last the through the whole fight. But, I also know that a lot of people when training in the martial arts expect it (for some uknown reason) to keep them from any injury at all. Which is not always the case.. especially if there is more than one opponent. (hence why we do lots and lots of multiple attackers drills)

The biggest part of training them to think in that manner is to do drills with either rubber knives or steele knives that aren't sharp and drill over and over and over. I realize your immediate response it to point out it's different and simply being aware of the knife cutting you is different than it actually cutting you. But, there's only so much we can do to try and help prepare a student for the millions of situations they could find themselves in. It's sorta like a muscle memory thing as well though, if you drill it into their heads not to stop (or more importantly freak out) when they've been injured they have a much higher chance of surviving the encounter.

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt

This is a great thread. Sometimes the use of common sense is better than any technique you have practiced thousands of times.

I will keep these rules in mind the next time I talk about self-defense.

It isn't the techniqes so much, but the mindset that matters.

The problem with that is that there are so many people that simply cannot develop such a mindset. I would drill them repeatedly, and also teach them how to "look" confident. Oftentimes, this is the best deterrent, as I think has been said here already. There are many times in the club where I have ended confrontations simply by approaching the combatants. I have been told that they didn't want me to mess them up, so they calmed down, and as a result, nobody had to leave the club. Last fall, ten people were getting ready to scrap by one of our bars. I was the only bouncer there that night, but instead of panicking, I jumped right in the middle of them. ALL 10 OF THEM STOPPED IMMEDIATELY. afterward, one of them asked me if I was crazy, cuz they all could've stomped me. I just smiled.

confidence is a powerful thing. Criminals, bullies, etc all look for the same thing - an easy target. If you look like you will give them a fight, many will not bother you. Confidence can be taught to pretty much anyone. A killer's mindset cannot be.

Those are both very good points, about confidence and "killer instinct." Some people advocate the use of "self-talk," where they will repeat a feeling, or reaction to something, over and over to themselves to try to get their mind into the set they want it. When the adrenaline flows, however, everything seems to change.

Personnally, when my adrenaline runs, I don't like it. I don't like the feeling of the stress; I don't know why. I have a brother, however, who loves the stuff. He played football in high school and college. I asked him once about the hardest shot he ever took. He said it was a blind-side hit. He got slammed hard, and just bounced up and yelled for some more!! I personnally think his has a testosterone overload :P

• 2 years later...
precisely. That's why I said, you can't really prepare them for it. You CAN prepare them to deal with a knife encounter - working knife tactics and such, but IMO you can't prepare them for the pain of a stab.

I agree with this, but if you train a student to the point of "instintcual reaction" then the pain of being stabbed doesnt really come into play. An example of this was a couple of years ago: I was working with one of my students on some knife drills (at advanced belts we use live blades...crazy I know) any way, I was having him practice doing small circle slices, followed up with thrust. He wasnt doing things as well as he should for approximately an hour, and my blocks were beginning to hurt his wrist and forearms. Well guess what, he finally did it right and stabbed me right in the stomach! I don't remember what happened next (I guess I lost it) cause the next thing I knew he was standing outside of the Dojo looking very scared. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "your bleeding". Sure enough there was a whole in my shirt just to the left of my belly button. I asked him why He was standing in the doorway. He said " you disarmed me (his wrist was swollen and red), palm-heeled my chin then you dropped into a crouch and growled!" He decided then that practice was over! So he got up from the floor and ran! I guess I recognized he was a friend and stopped before I really hurt him. We went to the emergency room and I got stitches (only 10) and he had a cast put on his hand/wrist (broken). Needless to say we don't do live blades anymore, but it goes to show how doing "dynamic training" creates instinctual responses to attacks. At the time he stabbed me I thought he had just punched me in the gut, but my subconcious mind recognized the threat and responded in kind.

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

You know, they do have practice knives that shock you when contact is made....they are adjustable and everything....that might be an idea for you to try....

It should help with student retention, at least...;)

You know, they do have practice knives that shock you when contact is made....they are adjustable and everything....that might be an idea for you to try....

It should help with student retention, at least...;)

Thanks...that is exactly what we went to. Saves on my shirts and medical bills as well...lol

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International