• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Three Rules of Self-Defense

The Three Rules of Self-Defense

I have learned many lessons in my 30+ years in the martial arts. Of all those lessons, one of the most important was the three rules of self-defense. "Doc" (my sensei) often taught us that following these simple rules could keep you alive. These rules are as follows:

Always assume that your opponent knows at least as much about fighting as you do.

Now this may sound elementary, but I bet you all can think of a time when you underestimated an opponent. You were surprised by a "sucker" punch, or just out classed by their unexpected ability. This rule coincides with the Threat Elimination Theory of self-defense. Threat elimination states that you do whatever is necessary to eliminate or neutralize a threat. Based on this, you consider all variables such as: attacker size/number, environmental conditions, etc. Keeping T.E.T.(Threat Elimination Theory) in mind, assuming all possible threats (attackers) are as serious (at least as good as you), your responses to their attacks will be serious as well.

Always assume that your opponent has a weapon, or has access to a weapon.

Once again I have seen several fights where one participant was delivering a trouncing to another, only to find himself in serious trouble when a knife, pool cue, beer bottle, or gun “mysteriously “ appears. I have witnessed some of my students in training "freeze" when all of a sudden confronted with a knife. Anyone can produce and effectively use a weapon, and almost anything can be used as a weapon. Now when you consider the previous two statements, rule 2 should be a mainstay in your training. I have suggested adding spontaneous weapons to your self-defense and free sparring training. Doing this helps your students get over surprise of seeing a weapon.

Always assume that your opponent is not alone.

Now this rule should be more than evident to any experienced fighter, but I am often amazed at how someone will fixate on one person to exclusion of all his surroundings. I have watched very skilled fighters get “overwhelmed” by several mediocre individuals. How many times have you seen two people so engrossed in arguing with each other that they don’t see any one else around them? Even when your opponent is obviously alone, you should assume that someone might want to help him. I have personally been in fights in which people, who didn’t even know the person I was dealing with, tried to help him. I have been a cop, probation officer, and work in corrections, so there are people who would like to take a shot at me (and what better time than when I am fighting someone else)! You bar patrons should remember that some people go to bars just to get into fights, and doesn’t much care whom, or why they fight. Training yourself to be environmentally aware allows for you to be ready in case an unexpected attacker comes. I recommend introducing a surprise attacker into your self-defense and sparring sessions. This teaches students to stay alert, and not to fixate.

In conclusion: Observing these three “rules”, should help you be prepared for what others call “surprises” when in combat. Adding variables to your training that force your students to deal with these three rules, will enhance their experience, and will be very valuable to them, if they are in a self-defense situation and have to deal with one or more of these variables. The other benefit of this training is that it re-enforces T.E.T., because it teaches that the use of force (your response to an attack), is not totally dependant on what your attacker is doing at the start of the altercation, but what the other variables bring into play.

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, good post.

When I first read the title I was like; Huh, theres no rules in self defence.

How wrong I was.

Cheers.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

The only thing I would disagree with is #1. I teach my students to always assume that your opponent is BETTER than you are....until you find out differently. :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I teach my students chaos theory, and how no altercation will be perfect, hence, the need to adapt to the unknown is a primary survival function.

Even assuming your opponent is only as skilled as yourself is, there still is a large void for error, and no opponent should ever be taken lightly.

Cheers.

self defense beings with awareness. Awareness of your surroundings should be #1, IMO - walking several feet away from walls and fences, looking under your car as you walk toward it, quickly scanning people you pass for bulges in the pockets (potential weapons) and such, etc.

I agree with everything exept getting away from walls, in some situations a wall can be a quite benificial weapon. (But point still taken :) )

nice post. thanks

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

• 6 months later...

Hmm, The first one reminds me of something I teach reffered to as "The 10x Rule, and 10:1 odds".

Meaning you should always keep a frame of mind that finds the balance between assuming your opponent is 10x better than you but also knowing you have a 10:1 odds of winning the fight/match/attack you're defending, etc. if you are a trained martial artist and they have no training what so ever.