• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

katas = great workout

shorei_kai_student

Yeah, my Sensei, like that of Shito-Ryu Girl's, says that if you're not sweating hard after doing a kata, you're not doing it properly, lol.

I think kata are a great workout, I love them. You feel like you've actually done work when you go through them, lol.

Osu.

Warai Wa Satori = Laughter is Enlightenment

Ikari Wa Muchi = Anger is Ignorance

Naku Wa Shugyo = To Cry is to Train

Sosai Mas Oyama

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, man... Katas are definitely my favourite thing to do in the dojo! For a workout with a bang, when you learn more katas, try doing them one after another, taking no more than a breath's break in between each one. By the ending, you should be panting!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• 2 weeks later...

yes katas great workout and more surprsing right now is alot of my old topics are poping back up

Do not follow me I may not always lead, do not lead I may not follow, just walk beside me and be my friend-unknown

"A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a joke or worried to death by a frown on the right person's brow." Charles Brower

• 2 weeks later...

well today during class i had worked up a good swet with my warmup and hitting the bad then had to do my kata in four directions 3 times per direction so yeah i got a really great workout

Do not follow me I may not always lead, do not lead I may not follow, just walk beside me and be my friend-unknown

"A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a joke or worried to death by a frown on the right person's brow." Charles Brower

indeed Katas are a great workout - I tried all the Heian Katas last night (to Godan) whilst wearing my heartrate monitor, on my running machine my heart rates sticks at around 155bpm (ater 5mins or so) Kata also raised my heart rate to that and slightly above for a short period

Neil

1st Dan Black Belt Traditional Shotokan Karate

Yeah Katas are great for people like me who train solo...

Two years ago, I have retired from group karate practice as sandan since I started karate 38 years ago. Since then I have practiced daily solo at my "private" dojo at home. In every session, I see to it that I do at least 5 different kata in addition to my regular kihon and "solo" kumite practice, and doing the rounds of the 26 JKA kata in the week, all in about an hour's daily workout.

While kihon practice my be equally intense physically, it doesn't have the psychological effect of providing the practitioner the same deep sense of having accomplished something meaningful. A kata reveals a sort of a short but complete fight story with a particular fight setting that demands a unique or select repertoire of defense and attack maneuvers, sometimes involving weapons, against multiple assailants. Doing kata is not only a good physical workout like kihon, but a fulfilling completely meaningful psychological exercise with therapeutic benefits for the practitioner.

Gene