• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

commercial karate

Bushido Fist

how to prevent yourself from comercial Karate schools.

1)if they give you your next belt easily/fast.

2)if your not being worked hard enough.

3)doesnt tell you your faults in your kata.

4)does not participates in tournaments.

5)plays games during class.

6)bend the rules for certain people.

7)does not teach you basics.

8)more then 3 stripes on your belt

9)does not aim for perfection.

10)lets kids run around during class

11)does not take action if students have there Belt on the floor.

If your school has 2 of these symptoms you should probably should leave.

Edited by Bushido Fist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I think that #4 and #11 are rather common things, even among very traditional and very non-commercial karate dojo.

Tournaments aren't a thing in every style (sparring is still done, often full contact). If a style is self-defense oriented, tournaments don't really have much to give on that area. Lots of dojo sparring is needed, though.

Having a belt on the floor - if it's not in a place where someone could trip or slip on it - isn't a bad thing. It's just a piece of cloth for some (I know that in some styles belts have a deep, symbolical values. Others just use them to show the grade and hold the jacket closed).

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Some people would argue the reverse of #4...

Personally, I think the best way to spot an overly commercial dojo is to look at the money. How much does it cost? Are there extra hidden fees? Is a contract required? Is rank testing automatic?

I really don't agree with a lot of that. In my opinion #4 is completely incorrect. #11 has nothing to do with whether the dojo is commercial or not. #10 has very little to do with it as well. #6 really depends on the reason behind bending the rules. If it is financially motivated then yes, if it isn't then no.

I think the best way to tell a commercial karate studio is to ask yourself if you are treated more like a student or more like a customer. Usually the answer is self evident.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

We use our belts for reflex training and similar once in a while. I think that is perfectly acceptable, we still hold it in high regard, but it is also a tool you can use in your training.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

how to prevent yourself from comercial Karate schools.

4)does not participates in tourterments.

6)bend the rules for certain people.

8)more then 3 stripes on your belt

Wow...I guess I'm commercialized. Wonder why I've never seen so much as a dime in the past 5 years though? :-?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

No kidding. I think the majority of those are more along the lines of 'strict traditional,' as opposed to mcdojoish, and i agree that #4 is more the reverse in these arguments.

I just don't find that list viable.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Most commercial karate School , will sign you up to a contract, before your leave. I agree with most. #5 depends on the age group you are teaching and the type of games you are playing. I play games with my 4, 5, 6 years olds, or so they think. I just turn the karate in to fun and games. This does not mean they learn less.

#4 Don't agree with at all, as some schools run there own inter club comps and that is also a commercial thing. :)

I think these are WAY to general assumptions!!

1)if they give you your next belt easily/fast. I hold testings the 1st sunday of each month, if you've come to class enough, and some of my guys come 6 days a week, then you could easily get your yellow belt in one month.

3)doesnt tell you your faults in your kata.

4)does not participates in tourterments. Most of the tournaments around me, are from mcdojo's.

6)bend the rules for certain people. precept # 5, spirt first, technique second....some people's bodies naturally move different than others, they should perform that tech. in a natural way

7)does not teach you basics.

8)more then 3 stripes on your belt I use 4 stripes to test...but that's just me, doesn't really matter I guess.

10)lets kids run around during class.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate