• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring stlye in your dojo?

SenseiMike

Just trying to kill time and let this coffee kick in, but I was curious, how do you guys fight?

What's the contact like? what are the rules? how much bunkai do you use as opposed to just "kickboxing"?

At my dojo we incorporate a lot of kata moves into kumite, particulary (sp?) the grappling aspect of it, It usually brakes up if someone hits the ground. Contact is light, light to meium with pads on. only the eyes, front area of the throat, and groin are off limits. other than that it's pretty much fair game. I'd say on a regular day, we work on bunkai for 45 minutes, then spar for the last 30.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sweet, apparently this post earned me a yellow belt :P

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

We use Clicker rules which are similar to Wuko or nihon shobu except direct punches to teh face are not allowed and the fight is not stopped for each point. They are counted by the referees using clickers and the winner announced at the end. Thats a very simple explanantion of those rules - there is more depth to them than that.

Most often though we will spar knockdown rules - punches and elbows are allowed to the body and arms and kicks are allowed to the legs body and head. We usually go 20% in the first week of training and build up to 80-100.

Osu!

Why is it, when all is said and done, that more is said than done - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

non-stop full contact. The only area that's off-limits is the groin. We encourage people to stay away from full contact to the leg. It does occassionally end up on the ground. When it goes to the ground someone has to tap out. Interesting way to do things.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Most often though we will spar knockdown rules - punches and elbows are allowed to the body and arms and kicks are allowed to the legs body and head. We usually go 20% in the first week of training and build up to 80-100.

Same ,and sometimes we allow (padded) hands contact to the head , sometimes we allow grappling and groundfighting .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

We use kyokushinkai knockdown rules.

Padded legs are encouraged, groin and teeth protectors optional.

All kicks above the knee are allowed with the exception of the groin and neck. All punches/strikes (including elbows etc.) are allowed to the torso. No punches/strikes to the head, no contact whatsoever to the back/spine.

The pace is set by the lowest ranked or smallest person so no one gets more than they bargained for, but even in the lower ranks we don't usually pull our punches.

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"non-stop full contact. The only area that's off-limits is the groin. We encourage people to stay away from full contact to the leg. It does occassionally end up on the ground. When it goes to the ground someone has to tap out. Interesting way to do things."

I tried that One time its real fun

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

we have diferrent typse of sparring ,dojo kumit or randoori includes all techniques and targets ,take downs grapples and basically is a rehersal of street fight with control. but to bulid up to randoori which is the most advance form ,lots of semi-free one attack is done where the attacker declares the technique and attack in his own time with speed and power and aims to make contact ,the defender can evade or block and then counter with control .there are other variations like the initial attacker would then evade or block the counter and counter himself ,this would greatly improve ones reflexes.

in karate learning to sparr is learned in stages and grdually bulid up to randoori type.

never give up !