• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

School Challenges

Has anyone belonged to a school or club where an outsider came in for the express reason of challenging someone to a bout? No personal reasons, a completely honorable challenge to test his/her skills against the best in your school.

According to some stories it used to be quite common "back in the day". Does anyone see this anymore?

Have any of you who have trained in the far east seen or heard of it still happening?

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, my old kung fu school has received challenges (albeit not barbaric or threatening ones, but usually just people from other schools asking if we just wanted to 'experiment'). Although carried out in a professional and friendly manner, my kwoon has always come out on top. This obviously doesn't say much though since it says a lot about the schools if they actually make an effort to go around challenging people, although one school that challenged us had a good reputation. We have had challengers from taekwondo to muay thai to wing chun. I am not longer a member of this place, just for information purposes, LOL.

Once again though, I feel that if you are confident and credible that you should feel no need to prove yourself.

:karate:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

Yea my school was challanged but the school owner turned it down. He felt that he didn't need to prove anything since the other leader was a ****y kid.

Maybe bad pr huk!

Do unto others, as they done to you.

I have never seen that happen and I think anyone wanting to do that at our Dojo ought to have their head read.

I have trained in Japan for one year back in 1982 and I never saw that happen nor heard of that while I was there.

Doesnt mean it couldnt happen though

Soft teachers make soft students

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-03-12 23:48 ]

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I've only had this once. My response was to ask the guy to step outside so that we could fight. He asked wether we should do it in the club, where there where mats, and we should warm up first and agree rules. No - I told him that in the club we train and that he was more than welcoem tom join us in that training. if he wanted to FIGHT then we would do it outside, no warm up, no rules, NOW. He declined.

The watched us train, nearly **** himself when he saw what we do, and was never seen again.

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Although unrelated to me or my school, I heard that a rival kung fu school gathered about 20 members and broke into a Choy Li Fut school in our Chinatown and attacked the members there. It was kind of like an old-fashioned type of beating. Anyways, I heard it was sickeningly hilarious. The guys were yelling and making obnoxious testerone-laden sounds that would make good footage for WWF or Jerry Springer. My friend's little cousin knew somebody who went to that school, and he said that there was around 20 assailants/attackers as opposed to only about 10 max (not all high-ranked obviously) people training at the time at the Choy Li Fut place. Anyways I can't believe that this crap still happens, it is only good for a laugh nowadays. Back then I guess it was done to show the superiority of one's kwoon or style over others, but nowadays it's all about the bling bling (i.e. McDojos, cash flow, etc.) that gives u power, not the strength of your iron palm. :spitlaugh:

[ This Message was edited by: spinninggumby on 2002-03-13 11:23 ]

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'