• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age and karate, its bothering me

40 cent

I guess i have good timing then. :P

My insight is this:

I am 42 years old, have studied for a very long time. Despite the fact i studied for such a long time, and that i studied even when i was a kid (judo and boxing, primarily), i never felt 'better' than everyone. There was always someone better in technique, in application, in insight, in perspective, in attitude, in competence, power, strength, flexibility, etc. Over the years, i've gotten over some of my hangups, and i don't concern myself with what others know, or don't know, in comparison to me. Instead, i opt to learn from others and, in turn, provide learning for others... unconditionally. This approach is not common, nor is it even welcomed in many places, but it makes me feel better about myself, and sometimes makes others feel better about themselves for reciprocating.

Another thought. I've walked into schools of martial arts in which i never studied even one day of what they studied. I came in and tried to do what they did, and looked like a rank amateur. And yet, in some cases after class the instructor would privately ask me demonstrate to his students the knowledge i do have. I.e., to share. In those cases where the instructor shows this kind of respect, and doesn't instead take advantage of my uncomfortable 'n00blet' status (and believe me, this has been done a few times, to my chagrin), i reciprocate the respect, and do indeed show his students some insight into how i approach a confrontation.

What i've found during these times, is that the students would do a complete 180 degrees on me. Whereas initially they thought i was 'just a n00blet,' now they realize i'm as much an instructor as their own instructor, but that the knowledge and skills i provide... are different. This 'awakening' serves the students in three ways, and i take these moments to help enlighten them of this.

The three ways are:

1. Never judge a book by its cover,

2. There is not merely 'one way,'

3. Sharing is better than Glaring.

This last is not obvious, but what it means is... you can show envy or jealousy about what someone else knows, or you can offer to show what you know, so that they can offer to show what they know.

Respect through sharing. And on that note, i learned how to sail from a gentleman who wanted to learn how to do the martial arts. We taught each other the forms (of knowledge) we were proficient in and thus respected each other as equals through this reciprocative endeavor.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it you want again? You're a 20 yo newb but like knock-down fighting. So join the fighting team. Virtually all kyokushin dojo's have seperate classes for competitors and regular students. Get into the class for competitive fighters. Once in this class you'll notice that there is no ego about rank. It's all about the fighting. I know many fighters who are oblivious the color of their belt. Only when they start winning consistently are they encouraged to at least get their shodan.

If you're already taking the team-fighters' classes you've probably already noticed that your conditioning and fighting skills have improved markedly, while your knowledge of kata and bunkai have received less attention. Is this your objective?

I guess the question is, what do you want from karate? Is it a hobby or a future profession? If you want to run your own Kyokushin dojo, you will need to make some kind of mark as a competitor-something easier said than done. If this isn't in your cards, consider other careers and keep karate as a hobby.

Very cool outlook and story Warlock. My teacher is exactly the same way about sharing knowledge freely. I have always liked this philosophy.

Also, one of my dad's friends taught an old Korean man how to speak English in return for martial arts lessons. He was eventually known as one of the best "double chuckers" in my area. Sounds like something out of a bad movie to me, but it would be really cool to make a deal like that. I'll have to keep training and see what cool things I can trade my knowledge for!

36 styles of danger

We have a student in our dojo who started at age 30 , now, after 10 years of training , he is a black belt , and is a good fighter

Fransisco Filho won the world tournament at age 31

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I didn't start any training until 16, stopped at 17-18, restarted at 21, stopped at 22, and I'm restarting at 23. I didn't start at 6 and I don't have the technique that many of the students that did start young have. But who cares?

I knew people that felt similarly to you when I played chess. I started chess at 11 and was consistently beating people 20, 30, and even 40+ years older than I was. In fact, I know more than a few people that started playing chess in their 20s or 30s that ended up quitting because I was in my teens and I was in a completely different league than they were. The end result? They missed out on playing a fantastic game due to an ego problem.

All I can really say is try and enjoy the ride. To quote an oft-used phrase: "In the end your only opponent is yourself."

You will be fine just push your training and conditioning up more.

There are mixed martial art fighters that didn't start until they were 20's and now some are excellent fighters. chuck liddel is 34 years old and is a champ. Randy Courture is 40+ and is considered one of the top guys in the world to fight.

so keep training hard and SMART and you wil be fine.

Yeah you're 20 that's young to start.

Some elderly men start Karate because of it's health benefits. Besides if you you want a blackbelt, doesn't it take about three years to get one in most clubs? That's not long and some people go to lessons but prefer just to learn and not grade.

Very cool outlook and story Warlock. My teacher is exactly the same way about sharing knowledge freely. I have always liked this philosophy.

thanks fm, and yes... your father's story is similar. Trade. :)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Sheesh, I just started 2 months ago and I'm 29. I've kept myself in good shape through my 20's and I'm currently in the best shape of my life. Karate is the main reason.

Guess it's just me but when I see a younger person at a more advanced level than me, I'm happy for them. Hell, I'm not too proud to ask them for advice. My main focus is just improving myself. I know I will be competitive one day.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." --Bruce Lee

A woman in Japan wanted to be a musician. She practiced for hours and went to music school. Right before she graduated she decided she wasn't good enough to become pro. She decided to take up shooting. After 3 years she went to the Olymipics and won (not sure what place)

It's not important when you start.

As Jax_Evolution said, you're not getting any younger.

So do the best you can now.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."