• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age and karate, its bothering me

40 cent

i am 20 years old and i have been doing kyokushin karate for around 1 year.

years = skill and you are only in it for 1 year. there is no way you should even be shurggin off natural habits like being enraged yet. 1 year is not long enough to sometimes get the basics and do them in RL fights and no rule sparrs

but i look to the front of the class and i see 16 year olds with unbelievable technique and :(

Ok....once again 1 year is not long enough to get the flexability or techniques down.......and there are no 16 year olds that can beat a serious 20 year old MA if they have around the same time in.

The Childs mind doesn't pick up the seriousness of MA and reality. An Adult does and knows its a survival skill. A child can perform amazing kata's and demonstrations but in a RL fight I see them mess up and forget and the fear dump.

An Adults biggest problem is not going into a rage and just beating down the other guy...keeping your head on straight in other words.

A Childs biggest problem is fear and commitement to the punch or hit, or defense. Especialy against a bigger oppenant.

I do Karate and some other MMA

I love miniture dogs.

I hate olives, cheerleaders and telemarketers

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Adults biggest problem is not going into a rage and just beating down the other guy...keeping your head on straight in other words.

hmm... i had this problem when i was a kid, not an adult.

Mayhap you be overgeneralizing? :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I dont see why you posted this thread, you are basicaly saying you are discouraged because those students with more time in are better then you.

For some reason I noticed alot of older men thinking that because of thier age they have some rights or titles or more skill then the younger ones with more time in. There are girls in our adult class who sparr full contact no gloves, no rules with the newcomer guys who are 3 times thier weight and the girls eat em up. These female students are very much in shape, and not fat or bulky looking like some of you may be assumeing too. 5.7 130 pounds and lethal.

To become the greatest warrior, one needs to train beyond the physical and into the spiritual becoming supernatural. It is then that the warrior will know that he is indeed not the greatest, but just awakened.

https://www.manabimasho.com

you havent seen why i have written the post because perhaps you havent understood the problem.

your response to it, once again, doesnt address the problem, just explains it. i understand they are better through time and dedication, i understand that.

as i said, we all have an ego, we all have pride, but martial arts is designed to challenge that and make us work towards humility. i posted this as a problem with MYSELF not the YOUNG GUNS in my dojo. i respect them completely, and i look upwards of them. and no, i dont feel 'because of my age i have some right or title', infact i think you should perhaps examine the reasons behind my post manabimasho, instead of looking at it so black and white.

i am angry at myself for having this problem, hence the post. i was seeking help for it, and i dont need help in the form of 'your wrong' as i have aptly stated 'i know'

and yes, i dont doubt you have lethal women in your dojo, so do we, this was never a gender debate....

There's no time like the present. I was 18 when I started and, while I do wish I had started sooner, I'm much more glad that I didn't start later.

I'm 35 and a woman...not your typical beginner karate student. I've been studying for two years now. I started with my children. 8, 14, and 15. In the beginning it was harder for me, as a traditionally raised female I had a hard time when it came to actually hitting people. (Our style is full contact.) I was at least a decade or two older than the other students and way less flexible (I still am.) In the beginning it was harder for me than it was for my three boys and the other students. It was a new school and every student started without having other karate experience at the same time. I watched others move up before me, I struggled with the combat and conditioning and many times thought I was just too old to start something like this. The younger students inspired me to keep at it though. Two years later, I outrank all of my own children, I'm the third highest rank in class...we are all the same que but the other two tested two weeks before I did. I have no problem fighting and have found that actually my age, and the wisdom that comes with it is an asset. I'm not as flexible, but I'm quicker. I'm not as strong but I've learned to use technique to my favor and have won first in all but my very first competition. Age is a blessing, an advantage! Work hard, and learn how to use your age as part of your skill, not a deterrent.

BTW...now my class average age is creeping up to mine. I'm no longer the oldest beginning student, and no longer the only adult female. What you do as an older student is inspiring. At demo's when I do my breaks the reaction is different than when the younger ones do them, people just don't expect it...watching a 35 year old woman do knuckle jumps and punch through boards like their butter can be very inspiring to all ages!

Congratulations to you for starting karate at a technically late age for the art, I look forward to hearing about your successes

My dad just started martial arts for the first time and he is 53!!!!.

He is actually in the same class Im in.

I only started 6 months ago and am 26. Every time I think I should have started earlier I just think of my dad.

A mentor once told me. "There will always be someone better and there will always be someone worse"

It really stuck in my mind. Now I just do the best I can.