• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age and karate, its bothering me

40 cent

First of all, i will start by giving the disclaimer that my post may annoy the hell out of some readers, and i may seem ignorant and ungrateful of my position, but anyways:

i am 20 years old and i have been doing kyokushin karate for around 1 year. i ABSOLUTELY love it, it is the central part and the focus of my life. i have had a 3 full contact fights and i love the challenge of doing them and training hard for them.

the thing is, my age lately has been frustrating me. i know, everyone will be thinking "WHAT!!!, YOU"RE 20!" but i look to the front of the class and i see 16 year olds with unbelievable technique and unbelievable flexibility as they have been doing it since they were tiny tots. i on the other hand started when i was 19, which is still a ripe age, but it frustrates me to think that at age 20, i am still struggling to develop my flexibility (its horrible) my footwork, my technique, everything is still at a very premature level.

also, when i think about competing, i love martial arts so much id love to compete on a world level. and yet when i look at most professional fighters, the majority started and were fighting since they were tiny tots.

now, i know, ive thought about it a lot, and im not just interested in fighting, i love the character building aspects of martial arts as well. perhaps this very problem reinforces my undeveloped karate spirit. i realise that my problem is ego based, its competitive based. which are two things that karate should be working against, i shouldnt even be watching other students and comparing myself to them. but, i cant help it. i try to forget fighting in k1 and so forth, just believe it wasnt my path and wasnt meant to happen but i cant help it.

i know 20 is certainly young, even young enough perhaps to get to a pro level, but i cant help but think im a few steps behind...

any thoughts, opinions, experiences would be great. i realise its a silly problem, but it is genuinely bothering me. anyone who can help me start believing in 'no regrets' thatd be great :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put it this way Pal:

Ur never going to get any younger and you can't turn back time! So dwelling on the fact that you didn't start when you were younger isn't going to get you anywhere is it?! So just knuckle down and get on with it. If the pursuit of excellence is what you want then do it. Stop dwelling on age and crack on Son!

harsh mode>

I am only 21 myself but have been doing Martial Arts since I was 7 (tiny tot as you'd maybe say) and I don't want to compete in anything! That's just my choice. I do it for the skills, the enjoyment and he practical self defence. Each to their own for their resons for training!

Good Luck to you and just go for it!

i agree with Jax_Evolution

you only have two choices, quit MA or practice more and focus

or you can wait for somebody to make a time machine for you

practice harder and u'll get there, ur only practicing for a year man, patience!

Most of the people who are very good are that way because of dedication and practice. Do you know how many kicks, punches, steps, and stances are done from the time you are a child until you are an adult? I started when I was 6. I have probably thrown millions of punches and kicks over a lifetime. However, I practiced every single day from the time I was very young until now. If you practice every day for at least an hour plus go to classes, you will see vast improvements in not such a long time. You need to be patient. If you work hard, you will notice your technique getting progressively better. You may even be able to stick with some of those 16 year olds you are envious of now. Martial arts is a journey that takes time, it isn't a 100 meter sprint for the finish.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Relax. There are knockdown fighters in their mid-thirties competing at the elitest levels of Kyokushin and it's numerous spin-offs. I train with guys in their mid-40's who are actively competing, although by this age you're required to put on the pads. These old timers still kick like mules and their punches haven't lost any knock-down power.

Just agreeing that you just focus on improve rather than compare.

I'm 26, started TKD at 15 (with a gap of no training at 17-24). I'm one of the flexible ones now, even more than the black belts (but they got the advantage of more experience than me).

If I see someone with a better skill than me, I'm making his skill as a goal. Not to be competitive or anything, but just as a motivation to improve.

I didn't start till I was 24. It took me two and a half years to even think about doing a split. Now I can. I am now one of the more flexible ones in my dojang (at age 30), even better than most of the (adult) BB's. But it took hard work and patience.

Laurie F

rest assured, despite my problem i have not lessened my training ethic or even come close to 'dropping the bundle.' i was looking for more of an insight rather than an answer. simply stating that i need to forget that and focus on personal improvement is fine, but is about as helpful (on a much lesser scale of course) as 'ignore your broken arm.'

it must be acknowledged that EVERYONE has some form of a competitive drive and an ego, it just depends on how much you feed it/or abuse it, i got given the example of seeing ego as alcohol.

i REALISE i shouldnt be focussing on age, comparisons and 'catching' people, i REALISE it is unhelpful, it is futile. infact, that is the entire reason why i posted it as a problem, i want to iron it out, want to forget about it. thats why i wanted insights, i wanted experiences shared, not a statement of what i should or shouldnt be thinking.