• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

large or small number of techniques?

Some styles train to learn lots and lots of techniques, forms, etc. From what I understand, the purpose of this is not that you have 4000 techniques to choose from in a fight. Instead, it’s showing you the many, many ways you can do the same general type of lock from different positions, Eventually, you will see that type of lock everywhere, even when the arm/wrist/shoulder/etc is bent only slightly the way it needs to go, you will “see” or feel the lock and can execute it in ways that you haven’t even directly practiced.

Other styles tend to focus on a smaller set of techniques, forms, etc, but use them to focus on larger pictures or become very proficient at what they do. An example is someone who learns a relatively small set of techniques, but does them so much that the person becomes very good at that type of technique, and again will “see” or feel it, even if it is not the exact set-up they are use to.

That is a relatively simplistic way to view it, and probably not 100% accurate nor worded well, but it is late and I’m sure most of you will know what I mean.

I have tried both types (the multiple one with Kuk Sool and the smaller numbers with wrestling and taiji), and both lead to the same result. I would assume most people would agree, as the larger number group does not usually claim that they have a technique mastered for every scenario that they can pull out at will, and the smaller number group does not usually claim that they are good at only the small number of things they practice, and outside of those exact situations they cannot perform their techniques.

What are the pros and cons of each type?

Why do you agree or disagree that they both lead to the same path (if practiced correctly)?

Do you think there is a middle ground that can be reached, and would that be better than either side? Why?

Why do you think one way is, overall, better than another (if you do think that)?

Please, please, please, PLEASE, I am begging you, do NOT just say “This way is better”, “I like this way”, “I train this way”, or “my instructor says this way is better”.

PLEASE give REASONS behind your answers. Dear god please give reasons. If you don’t have time to write the reasons, wait until you do, if you don’t have reasons, please don’t bother. I am begging here.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small bag o' tricks-

PROS:

1) Quick basic understanding and lots of time to get REALLY good at those techniques.

2) There are many, many, many different applications to different techniques so once you've mastered the "how", learn all the different "whens" and "whys".

CONS:

1) Could get boring doing the same few things over and over.

2) People might leave too soon with an inadequate sense of prepardness. "This is it? Oh, man I got this. Who wants some?" SPLAT! *sound of a MA becoming humbled by a drunken jerk*

Big bag o' tricks-

PROS:

1) Lots of choices mean that you're not trying to force one technique on any situation just because it's the only one you know. (You could read that as a CON for the above list too.)

2) You are always learning new things in class and new ways to apply old things which keeps you in the zen "beginners mind" and keeps you humble and eager for more.

CONS:

1) You get stuck in a fight trying to make the "right choice" of which technique to use.

2) You aren't REALLY proficient at any technique.

CONCLUSION:

Use an average amount of very malleable techniques.

O Sensei said that everyone has a defined sphere of strength and if you can get them outside that sphere then their strength will disappear. I say, EXPAND YOUR SPHERE!

Many people say that trying to learn too many techniques make you a jack of all trades and master of none.

I would like to be a jack of all trades and a master of some.

I would suggest that you learn as many different techniques as you can and CONCENTRATE on a smaller number of them. (whichever techniques appeal to you)

What works works

ive actually been considering this for the past while, though not as clearly stated as you have

i think that at the early stages, one should focus on a few techniques

as one becomes more advanced, they should gain experiance in many different techniques, but still keep their core group

this way they have some that they know very well

but they also get a greater idea of what options are avalable, as well as a greater understanding of how to use the techniques that they use most often

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Having thousands of techniques to learn and remember can actually be a liability. Better to have a few god solid techniques then a few hundred that can confuse and work against you when the moment of truth comes. In a high stress SD situation, you dont want your mind running through hundreds of various techniques when all you may well need are one or two.

For example, a straight punch. You dont need 20 different defenses to know against a straight punch. Youd dont need 25 techniques to defend against a choke. The prob I have encountered with many TMA is that they have so many different one steps and others that have as many as a few dozen different defenses against, say, a straight punch or a low kick that it all can get very confusing.

I prefer to always use the KISS principle. Keeping things simple will help most people and its better to master a few techniques then practice several hundred.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

In Uechi there is a saying that "all is in Sanchin". Sanchin is the first kata we learn and the one that we work on most. It's the easiest to learn the moves, but the hardest to master. In the kata you have basic foot work (grounding), basic strikes and basic blocks. Basically everything you'd need to defend yoursefl. Master them all and you have a great foundation. After this everything else we learn are extensions and additions.

If you think about it, if I do an open handed strike the only difference is the finger position from a punch. If I can develop power in one, I can do the other. Same goes for a palm strike or a shoken. Target areas are different, but they just build on the basic moves.

As you can guess, I'd rather master a few good moves, then to be to average with many.

In the childhood teach us how to use a fork, a knife and a spoon.

U asked why do not use a spoon everytime, i answer: the 3 of them has an infinity amount of usages plus the normal one, but first u must be able to eat the soup with the spoon insead of sucking from it.

And that`s, my fellow Taiji, a lesson for life, not just for dojan.

NEVER LIMITATE YOURSELF JUST BECAUSE YOU DON`T WANT THE EVOLUTION EVOLUTIONS

Live your day as it is the last, think like gonna live forever.

one thing that has been alluded to in the past in other threads is the way in which a technique is counted.

In some schools, a simple move is counted for multiple time depending on it's height, stance position. left/right etc etc. Now while I can see that this will help people see the single movement beyond the fixed version in a form, I also see it as a reason for people to stop thinking for themselves. How often have you heard someone in your class say "that's not how it is in the form"?

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Having a multitude of of techniques is very helpful in 'recognition' of those things posed against you. If you are unfamilar with actions committed by your opponent, you can be surprised and taken out. That said, i advocate exposure, with an emphasis on the basics.

In my studies i've come to realize that only a few particular movements/techniques are required to master, and these movements translate to a hundred or more tricks, or applications. So, it's not good to master just 'any' techniques, and especially not good to master a particular application or small series of actions of a technique. Instead, it is good to master a handful of techniques that are universal in their application, whilst exposing oneself to a variety of other techniques and applications so as to familarize yourself to such, thus decreasing the likelihood you will be caught flat-footed.

On the other hand, for the purposes of 'certain' competitions, mastering one or two specific applications of a technique is the route to go. But, i don't advocate competition study mentality for anything other than competition.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro