• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not to be mean, but I've got to ask how many techniques there are per form. I thought TKD poomsae averaged about 30-35 techniques per form. Still not easy to remember 50 of them, but easier than learning 50 Kung Fu forms which seem like they are 100 techniques long when you watch them or Karate forms many of which are between 65-100 techniques.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kicks, that’s very remarkable. I just started learning Yoo-Shin from my John Chung video. It is a very nice looking form. It must take you several hours to go through all of your forms.

Aodhan, those are new names to me, what style/substyle are those from?

isshinryu5toforever, I don't learn the forms by numbers, but I can tell you that the Taegeuks are kind of easy compared to the pyung ahn's. That's the only difference I can give you. But yea, I do agree.

Laurie F

isshinryu5toforever,

The lower level forms are pretty easy, what you do to the left you repeat to the right. If you look at the Korean flag you'll see 4 symbols in each corner; the forms follow those patterns.

I've been doing TKD almost 13 years now. Our dojang has an eight week 'semester'. Each semester we change what family of forms we are doing, so I repeat each family every four months. Being an instructor I am obligated to be proficient at the lower level forms ( 1 - 8 ) in each family. As far as the higher level forms, I may need to review some a few times before I can do it completely on my own. My son (17 yo) has a much better knack for remembering forms. He also has learned as many as me and is an instructor too. I think our dojang does a total of 64 forms.

I just started learning Yoo-Shin from my John Chung video. It is a very nice looking form.

Yes, I like that form, even though it gave me the most trouble at my 3rd dan testing. Last year both my son and I won our divisions at the AAU Regional Championships doing Yoo-Shin.

Edited by Kicks

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

When I test for 5th dan this coming January, these are the hyung/form requirements:

Empty Hand Forms ( 29 total )

3 - Ki Cho's

5 - Pyung Ahn's

3 - Nai Han Ji's

6 - Chil Sung's

4 - Yuk Rho's

1 - Passai

1 - Jin Do

1 - Lo Hai

1 - Kong San Kun

1 - Hwa Sun

1 - Wan Shu

1 - Sip Soo

1 - Sei San

Weapons Forms ( 6 total )

1 - Short Dagger

2 - Bong (Long staff)

2 - Korean Sword (Hai Dong Gumdo)

1 - Chinese Broad Sword

edit: forgot to list an open hand form

Edited by TSDMGK_K40

Not to be mean, but I've got to ask how many techniques there are per form. I thought TKD poomsae averaged about 30-35 techniques per form. Still not easy to remember 50 of them, but easier than learning 50 Kung Fu forms which seem like they are 100 techniques long when you watch them or Karate forms many of which are between 65-100 techniques.

Our (ATA) white belt form is 18 moves, our upper color belt forms average around the mid-high 40's, and once you get to black belt, it's 81+

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I have seen a lot of the different sets of TKD forms. I have to give you credit for remembering 50 or so. It's an accomplishment. Isshin-Ryu's first kata is 76 techniques. Yeah, we expect a lot out of our white belts. I do know that some Isshin-Ryu dojos do a couple of Pinan first. Our kata for black belt is huge. It's in the 90-100 technique range and takes over a minute to do properly with extremely good speed.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

scottnshelly

Kicks,.... It must take you several hours to go through all of your forms.

I've never really tried. I kind of don't like doing forms. I'd rather spar. The most I've ever done back to back was 34 forms when I was preparing to test for 4th dan. I wanted to be ready in case they asked me to preform something that wasn't on the requirements list. See http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/test/mafit4dan.htm

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Our kata for black belt is huge. It's in the 90-100 technique range and takes over a minute to do properly with extremely good speed.

Our dan/black belt level forms are quite long. The Chil Sung Sa Rho, Chil Sung O Rho, and Chil Sung Yuk Rho, and Hwa Sun hyungs all take 3 to 4.5 minutes to execute correctly. They all are well over 100 techiques, some closer to 200 techniques.