• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I got the idea for this thread reading another person's post about how a lot of taiji isn't taught well because applications are never shown.

I disagree with this statement. In fact, I think taiji (and other IMA) can be greatly hindered if the instructor always goes through and shows "this movement is for this, in this movement you're practicing this" etc. The forms should be teaching you correct body alignment, movement, control, energy movement, intention, etc, but not application.

If a person is taught that one form's application is, for example, a hip throw, he/she will be somewhat-to-very limited to that hip throw. That's what that form, or part of a form, will become. It will be harder for them to see that it can also be used to practice downward punching with ahn energy. If they are taught it is both things, and that is what they focus on during their form, they will miss that it can also be a block. Or a shoulder strike. Or a . . . you get the idea.

If they what they are being taught is energy work, intention, relaxation, correct body alignment, etc etc, when a situation comes up that involves any of the previous applications, they will flow into it naturally, without even thinking about it. I've seen people (and myself) respond to a punch, push, etc, in a very effective way, on the fly, without ever being shown that particular application. Afterwards when someone asks what they did, the answer is usually along the lines of "I don't know" or "I was just trying to stay centered and he fell/flew away/had his joints locked/exploded into a million pieces". Ok, maybe not that last one.

This does not mean I never see applications. Sometimes I play around with them, or ask my instructor about them on an odd form, etc, but I never focus on them. After I see one I nod, store it away and forget about it. Anything else would hurt my ability to do taiji.

The best people I've seen at coming up with applications are the ones that were never shown applications.

The main point I'm trying to get across is we are not learning forms to learn applications, and focusing on applications will slow down your training. Forget about applications and focus on your intention.

Forms are not just strung together technique sets.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yes.

forms and applications, especially in the chinese styles are not the same thing. That is why you especially have to practice applications because if you fail to do so, how will you ever learn those little differences and what it feels like to do them/have them done to you?

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

Applications are good to practice, what I'm saying is that forms should not be seen as an application. Taiji forms shouldn't be taught as "this form teaches you how to throw" and "this form teaches you how to do this type of joint lock".

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

i think of those as tools u have in ur pockets, it's up to u to pull one and work with it when u feel like it. sometimes they are a restriction only if you think that you must only use one of these forms... or moves

good post

I feel that applications should not be taught until a certain level of understanding of the form has been attained. Unfortunately, a lot of students assume they can assimilate applications when it is clearly not the case.

Taiji is a lifelong learning experience imo, and I am happy to walk my path learning as I go.

I alternate my private practice between pure form and form with an imaginary opponent/applications.

There is so much to learn that it is easy to get swamped, at which time I always go back to basics for a while. :D

Be careful of the teacher you choose as his students will be your greatest influence.